Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"No bootable disk..." error: Toshiba laptop

• Please log in to reply

JRC74

JRC74

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello....

I am having a problem with the error message shown below, on a Toshiba Satellite C655D-S5518 laptop.

This error was present, says my daughter who used the laptop, before the laptop developed a Bios password lockout, something I learned that Toshiba laptops have been notorious for. Toshiba only wants too much money, warranty or not, to resolve just the password glitch, as it is a "software issue".

I resolved the Bios password hairball myself by doing a 'jumper' technique with cat5 wire, properly, as demonstrated in many youtube vids or articles on the issue, with battery, ram card and hard drive uninstalled. Very simple, worked.

Following that debacle we are back to this boot problem. The laptop has Windows 7 OS. I am not sure if 32 or 64 bit, unfortunately. Cant see.

I found a thread here from a few months ago of the same no bootable disk error and roughly the same model. However, there was no conclusion or success ever posted. :(

I have been in the Bios setup and set the sequence order to: 1. CD/DVD ....2. HDD/SSD ....3. USB....as advised in that thread, then FDD...and LAN 4th and 5th. The last two cannot be "deleted" as one poster tried to sugggest. I'm confused.

Anyhow, this attempt has been unsuccessful, as well as trying different sequence orders. And yes, I properly save changes with F10 and etc before boots.
I am at a loss at this point. Help.

(Also to note: the laptop is barely a year old, has an extended warranty -physical damage- and had a failed motherboard replaced 4 months ago, by Toshiba, with a small shipping charge- how nice!.)

This is that present error still on several attempts for bootup...
----------------------------------------------
Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 083) Copyright © 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

For Atheros PCIE Ethernet Controller v2.0.2.7(11/02/10)

Check cable connection! PXE-MOF: Exiting Intel PXE ROM. No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key _
-------------------------------------------

Please help.

Advertisements

masterking

masterking

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
First you have to make sure your hard disk is working properly.

You can try to run a Startup Repair in Windows 7
http://www.sevenforu...tup-repair.html

And if it doesn't work, you can try to manually repair Windows 7 boot loader problems.
http://www.howtogeek...oader-problems/

Please report if Startup Repair in Windows 7 does not find any Windows installations.
You can see that here.
Posted Image

JRC74

JRC74

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you for that info however I cant get to anything with Windows7.

When I power on the laptop I get the Toshiba front screen with the F2 and F12 options for bios setup and boot manager. If I dont enter into either within 10 secs or so, it goes to the error black screen as described. Or, if I do any things in the bios setup screen, afterward it still goes directly to the error.

There was no installation disc for Windows 7, so it was preinstalled, on the hard drive. According to info from the first link in your post to use System recovery, it is likely customly installed in my laptop (OEM). My laptop doesn't present any Recovery menu on startup either....not anywhere before the error screen occurs.

Ill try to find sonething on Toshiba site about that but dont really know what Im going to get.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
The hard drive is dead JRC74 and needs replacing.

If you never made any "back to factory" recovery disks, and the tools were on the machine to do so, then you'll have to obtain Windows 7 64bit from the very bottom link and use your 25 digit/character key to install.

Toshiba

Windows 7 64bit ISO

JRC74

JRC74

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you for the reply wolfeymole and the links.
I am actually not surprised to hear that sort of judgement now, as much as I'd rather not have to do replacement$ already.
No we didn't make recovery discs and I told my daughter to do so cause it's easy. I should have just done it. Lol

Is the hard drive something Toshiba should cover under warranty as well? They replaced the motherboard completely already. Laptop is only 10 months old. Ridiculous.
I already knew that the processor it comes with was not top notch--AMD E300 accelerated. But this laptop was to be for simple uses.
(Boy did we pick a winner, ...with four stars?? ::) Hmm.)

Could the weaker quality processor have anything to do with this failure also?
Is it possible for me to get a drive replacement for this model with a better processor in it?

Thanks.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Without knowing where you are from then I would be unsure of consumer rights under the law with regards to guarantees on equipment.

I am from the UK and all items such as this carry a standard 1 year guarantee.

JRC74

JRC74

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you. It is the same here in the U.S. I am looking into it.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Please let us know how you go on JRC74.

In the UK unless bought from an on-line dealer such as Dell then the buck stops with the Retailer who sold the system.

JRC74

JRC74

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have been advised by someone to try a diagnostic disc designed specifically to verify if the boot problem is either caused by the hard drive failing or if it is the OS, Windows 7 program, having a problem.
This way I can determine what venue of repair to move to next....Toshiba warranty, or software fix.

The diagnostic disk evidently can be either purchased online or made yourself with a certain process described on a site.
Any familiarity with such a tool?
Id rather not have to make one...mistake free.

lpmaster

lpmaster

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok so i have figured out this problem for most toshiba laptops. it gives you the bootable error and tells you insert the boot i have seen this problem many times it will make a weird synced noise near the bottom right corner which means ur hdd is trying to start up. this will occur when ypur computer has been dropped wrong, hitting of the laptop from rage or whatever it takes some sort of damage. basically if you have this problem what you want to do is let it sit at the black sceen for 5 seconds then on the bottom rightside of the computer slap it hit it whatever not too hard though. This will usually change the sound of the beeping or noise. ive tested this on about 4-6 toshiba laptops and each time just alittle tap or hit and it starts right back up. :D not so difficult i know this sounds dumb or whatever but not everything is an error you can fix with usual means takes man power to fix lol

Edited by lpmaster, 07 October 2013 - 12:38 PM.