Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSODs and boot.ini deleted after every reboot [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

Update for Windows XP (KB2779562)

"KB2779562 - Update for Windows This update resolves issues caused by revised daylight saving time and time zone laws in several countries and enables your computer to automatically adjust the computer clock on the correct date in 2012. It may require that you restart your computer."

"The security information is invalid or has been modified. This program will terminate

I believe that is related to security updates. That and the one above may be related.

Try this:

Go to the link below and follow the instructions to download and run the PatchRegCleanup-x86.exe version.

http://www.microsoft...ls.aspx?id=2698

Then see if you can run Windows Updates and install it.

Advertisements

Quamble

Quamble

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Updated the graphics driver through the hardware update wizard in device management, it updated it and now the blue screens when I try to enable it have stopped and it's currently enabled and functioning. I tried using the geforce website to update it, but it was really confusing and kept giving me drivers that didn't even list that my graphics card was supported. I tried the download you gave me and ran it, but it says "A Productcode must be specified." The update still won't install.

Edited by Quamble, 24 February 2013 - 09:47 PM.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hello again Quamble,

Go to the link below for instructions on how to fix Windows Update. Use the Fixit tool.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

If that doesn't do the job go to the link below and follow the instructions at post # 2

http://www.bleepingc...ty/#entry373708

Also don't forget to follow the CleanUp instructions I gave you at post # 72. It's important to do that as it removes the tools and resets back to normal some changes made to your computer to allow them to work. :)

Quamble

Quamble

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Sorry about the late reply. I'll see if I can contact Microsoft then, the fixit thing didn't work. Unfortunately, the random blue screens are still happening and I just got one. I'm really out of ideas right now. Something's causing it to blue screen and I just don't know what. I just wish I knew what was causing them. I don't want to bother you, you've done so much already and I doubt this is a virus or anything like that at this point. If you have anymore suggestions I'd definitely be willing to hear them, but I don't want to keep you away from anyone who does have a malware problem. Really though, thanks for all the help and patience. I'm probably going to give the memory test a try. Really hoping it's not going bad though, that's the last thing I need.

Edited by Quamble, 24 February 2013 - 11:51 PM.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

I'm probably going to give the memory test a try.

Probably time to check that one out but don't forget that there still maybe program conflict issues other than the graphics card one. ;)

You could also check for overheating possibilities.

Go to the link below for some information about symptoms of overheating.

http://www.ehow.com/...g-symptoms.html

Go to the link below for some actions you can take to reduce overheating

http://www.ehow.com/...-computers.html

Unfortunately, the random blue screens are still happening

If you get a blue screen see if you can write down the error code and post it back here.

If you have anymore suggestions I'd definitely be willing to hear them, but I don't want to keep you away from anyone who does have a malware problem.

No problem. :)

Quamble

Quamble

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Yeah, I thought about that, but I'm not sure how to go about checking for other conflicts. I'll check for over heating too. Would speedfan work to figure out how hot it's running? I have a lot of dump files from the blue screens and I'm not sure how many you want, but here's the most recent one.

==================================================
Dump File : Mini022513-02.dmp
Crash Time : 2/25/2013 1:07:22 AM
Bug Check String : MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
Bug Check Code : 0x0000001a
Parameter 1 : 0x00003451
Parameter 2 : 0xc02caa00
Parameter 3 : 0x89decb98
Parameter 4 : 0x00000000
Caused By Driver : ntoskrnl.exe
Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+6070a
File Description : NT Kernel & System
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 5.1.2600.6335 (xpsp_sp3_gdr.130107-0416)
Processor : 32-bit
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+6070a
Stack Address 1 : ntoskrnl.exe+4ecb5
Stack Address 2 : ntoskrnl.exe+147b7
Stack Address 3 : ntoskrnl.exe+11343
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini022513-02.dmp
Processors Count : 2
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 2600
Dump File Size : 90,112
==================================================

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
By the way did you run chkdsk? See post #56

If you haven't please do so, it can fix a lot of problems.

Would speedfan work to figure out how hot it's running

I am not familiar with Speedfan but this link has some information. I don't think it's useful unless you know what temperature is too hot for your processor. Have you read the links I gave you about overheating? The symptoms should be a pointer for you.

here's the most recent one.

That one appears to be a memory issue.

Do the Memtest86 and see what you find. See post #64

Quamble

Quamble

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Reading the links as we speak. The chkdsk and memory test might take a while to finish. I'll let you know the results once they're done. "Lock-ups are similar to crashes, but cause the entire computer to stop functioning; when locked-up, a computer completely stops responding to user input, like the mouse or keyboard." This sounds very familiar. I could be on YouTube or any flash/java based site and I could blue screen or freeze entirely in place. I was experiencing random restarts on my 1TB when it was working as well. This might be something I'll need to look into. I don't have a thermometer though.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

I don't have a thermometer though.

First thing to do is give your computer a good clean removing dust and anything blocking vents. See the links.

I have fixed my daughters computer completely of overheating by just cleaning out the dust.

The chkdsk and memory test might take a while to finish.

It will take a long time if it runs properly but it can fix a lot of problems. Some people recommend running it every now and then just to for maintenance.

Quamble

Quamble

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I definitely need to blow this thing out. I have some spare money saved up, so I can go out and get a can of air later. I'm fine with it taking a long time, I'd do anything to get this running right again. I'll be running the chkdsk then the memory test soon. Not sure how long either will take, but I'll post whatever I come across as soon as I can. So expect a reply sometime tomorrow. I'll be on at the usual time.

Advertisements

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
:thumbsup:

Quamble

Quamble

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Sorry about not posting yesterday! I tried running the memory test on a disk and it refused to boot off of it. However, this computer has always had trouble booting off of disks. So, I'm going to try a floppy tonight. It's always been easier to get it to boot off of a floppy. I'll let you know how it goes.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

I tried running the memory test on a disk and it refused to boot off of it.

Perhaps the BIOS is not set to boot from the CD. Here is some information about how to do that:

To set your computer BIOS to boot from a CD

1. Restart your computer. Watch the start-up instructions that are displayed on-screen.

A message will be displayed instructing you to press a named key (often F2, F12, or Delete) to go into settings/setup/configuration. (The key and the message will vary according to the type of computer that you are running.)

Press this key to enter the BIOS setup mode.

(If your computer is particularly fast, it may remove the message before you have the chance to press the key; in this case, try pressing the key once a second, starting the moment you reboot.)

Some examples:
  • On a Dell computer, you should hit F2 to enter the BIOS.
  • Other computers may require you to hit the DEL (Delete) button to enter the BIOS.
  • On newer computers, you may be able to hit F12 to select a temporary boot device rather than changing the permanent boot sequence in the BIOS itself. If your computer offers this option, simply select the CD or DVD drive containing the antivirus CD as your temporary boot device, and skip steps 2 and 3.
2. In the BIOS window, find the area that controls the boot sequence and rearrange the list of devices so that your CD or DVD drive is checked before your hard drive.

For most situations, a suitable sequence is:
1. A (Floppy)
2. CDROM (or DVDROM)
3. HD1 (or C).
If your drives are listed in this order, then when you keep the CD in your CD or DVD drive during a reboot, your computer will boot from that. (If the hard drive is listed earlier than the CD drive, your computer will not detect the CDs presence and will simply boot into Windows.)

3. Save the settings and exit.

4. When your computer reboots, it will check the CD or DVD drive containing the disk before it checks the hard drive.

Thanks to Cities site University of Illinois for these instructions

Quamble

Quamble

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
No, it is. I set it to boot off of a disk in the BIOS and saved it, but it just booted up normally after acting like it was reading the disk. I've had problems booting off of a disk in the past with this computer. I'm not sure why, but it's always been that way. I'm pretty sure a floppy will work, but I'll let you know if it doesn't.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
:thumbsup: