Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop-black screen after checking power,, ram & hard disk

• Please log in to reply

detmike

detmike

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have searched everywhere but haven't found the exact same situation, though I have tried all of the suggested fixes anyway.

Here's what I have and the symptoms:

Gateway MS2285 (N214)running windows 7
Laptop shutoff yesterday and I thought it went into hybernation.

Tried to turn on/reboot and and only got a blank, black screen. Nothing appears on the screen. Laptop sounds as though it is posting, dvd player and fan run, then stop, except for fan. The power button still operates as well.

What I have checked:
Power and charging seem fine
have tried to use a recovery disk at start up
Have tried atx reset and tried to reboot without battery
Have checked hardrive connection (removed and reset)
Have checked ram (checked, reset, tried to reboot with either ram)

Other things I have noticed:
While I do not have an external monitor right now, I believe that it is not the LCD as none of the quick keys light up, the hard drive indicator does not light up, nor do the num or caps lock keys ever light up.

I was going to try to remove the hard drive and transfer the info as I have the temp use of another machine. This will also confirm whether the hard drive is functional. I recently had the FBI ransom virus but malware seemed to remove it about a week ago. Is this a cpu or mobo problem? How would I confirm either of these? Any other ideas?

Advertisements

detmike

detmike

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
update- The hard drive is fine. I removed the hard drive and accessed it through another machine