Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HELP! AVG CAUSED BOOTLOOP BSOD ON WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION COMPUTER

• Please log in to reply

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,017 posts
I am stumbled. We will need to check the integrity of the hard drive.

Let's use a FreeDOS image for USB that contains a few tools (compiled & hosted by noahdfear).

The first two steps are carried out using a working computer.

:step1:

Format a USB flashdrive as FAT32.

• If you are not sure how to tell or how to format it, please use the GUI version of a freeware called Fat32Formatter which makes it very easy.

:step2:

Download NTBR_USB.exe.

• Save it to your hard drive.
  • With the USB device (from step 1) attached, double-click NTBR_USB.exe to run it.
  • Verify that the drive letter shown is the same as assigned by Windows.

Use Windows Explorer to check this. <<< Important!

• Then click OK.
    Once the image is written to the device, you will be prompted to reboot ... but do not reboot.
  • Instead, simply remove the USB device.

:step3:

Connect the bootable USB device and start the ailing computer:

• Use the appropriate F key (often F12) to access the boot menu where you can choose to boot from USB.
  • Press <ENTER> to boot to the USB device.

(Note: If F12 ... or any other F key ... is not an option, you may need to enter the BIOS Setup Menu and change the boot order.)

• After a warning screen there is a keyboard language options screen. Press <ENTER> to leave it at EN-US.

You should now be at the Tool options screen.

• Type 5 and press <ENTER> to choose the command prompt.

You will see an X:\> prompt, where X: is the ramdrive (temporary drive space in memory).

• At the command prompt type the following and press <ENTER> after each command:

cd tools
    cd ntfs4dos
    chkdsk

Please make a note of any errors found or corrections made.
  • When it completes type menu and press <ENTER> to return to the tools menu.
  • Type 6 to select Quit, and press <ENTER>.
  • Press <Ctrl+Alt+Del> to restart, and remove the USB device.
  • Allow the computer to attempt booting normally and let me know the outcome.
Please let me know if chkdsk reports any errors or corrections made, or if it completes without incident.

Advertisements

Gedmateo

Gedmateo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
EDIT: Oky I ran the check disk command, I believe that it has finished with no errors (for all steps it says 3 out of 3_. Now the follwing prompt shows X:\TOOLS\NTFS4DOS> and appears as if it is waiting for me to type something. When I type MENU it says Bad command or filename. However, Ctrl+Alt+Del does restart it.

I tried to boot but the computer still isnt booting.
Sidenote: I wanted to thank you for continuing to help me through this long process!

Edited by Gedmateo, 21 February 2013 - 11:40 PM.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,017 posts
I am running out of options.

Since the issue started after AVG, see if there anything under these folders:

C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2013\IDS\quarantine
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVG2013\IDS\quarantine

If there is something, copy the quarantine folder to the USB, zip the folder and attach it to a reply.

Gedmateo

Gedmateo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Checking it out right now. But if you cant get it to work, no problem. You've done enough. I appreciate it!

Gedmateo

Gedmateo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I looked at the AVG program files, and didnt find a IDS folder (I checked to see hidden files, but still didnt see one.) I also looked in documents and settings, and found the quarantine file, However, There were no files with in it. Dont know if the virus vault and the qaurantine are the same thing, But I looked up how to find the virus vault and there were files within it. I zipped if you would like me to attach them, Not sure If this is helpful or not.

Edited by Gedmateo, 22 February 2013 - 05:54 PM.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,017 posts
Yes. Let me see that.

Gedmateo

Gedmateo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
here are the files from the virus vault
Attached File  5057723b-b12f-4d6c-877a-551136721446.zip   1.5MB   51 downloads
Attached File  8c31ae52-a2ac-4f7f-a6f4-e002e5b4e043.zip   1.5MB   48 downloads

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,017 posts
They don't look like quarantined files.

I have gone up and down on your case and I still don't know the reason for this behavior. The error means there is a missing boot device, but despite our efforts, I haven't been able to identify that device. Your best option will be re-installing XP, which may give you an option to Repair the OS during the installation process.

I am sorry I couldn't do much more to help you.

Gedmateo

Gedmateo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Its no problem. Like I said before, you have tried everything you know to help me out, I really appreciate it! At least this way, with reatogo, I can back up my files all of my files and put them on my usb (even better, I can do it with ease)!
I want to reinstall xp but i dont know how from a usb. (Since my notebook doesnt have a cdrom drive). Is it worth posting a new thread over? I went to windows website but i was confused as to how to download it.

Thanks again for all your help!

Edited by Gedmateo, 22 February 2013 - 10:20 PM.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,017 posts
There is a tutorial here:

http://liliputing.co...lash-drive.html

If you need further help, then I would suggest you open a topic in the Software forums.

Be safe.

Advertisements