Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GTX 680 power

• Please log in to reply

snorre1349

snorre1349

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,
this is my first post here. I've got question about GTX 680...
I have i3 550, GTX 560 and 8GB 1600 RAM of G.Skill and on some games my PC can't handle games on ultra on 1920x1080 resolution. So, in the near future I plan to upgrade and I wonder if I'll get GTX 680 will my i3 handle it fully? If not, which processor can handle that video card fully if counting from i3 (i5? or only i7?).
And another question: If my i3 can't handle GTX 680, will overclocking help or it's still not enough?

Advertisements

snorre1349

snorre1349

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
lol, this forum is dead

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
:welcome: snorre1349

The faster socket LGA1156 CPUs are only dual core so your best option would be either the quad core http://ark.intel.com...-Cache-2_80-GHz or an i7 http://ark.intel.com...-Cache-3_06-GHz do note however that you will not get the max out of your 1600MHz Ram with either CPU though.

For the best video quality a 256-bit or above video card would be better but also worth consideration is the GTX660 Ti which is 192-bit but the price to performance ratio makes it a worthy purchase http://uk.asus.com/G...660_TIDC2O2GD5/

i3 CPUs are entry level processors and the performance reflects that, anything overclocked has the potential to go bad right away or reach it`s end of life prematurely.

NB: The GTG forums are very much alive and well - it`s just that global time zones and full time employment sometimes cause a delay in response times :whistling:

snorre1349

snorre1349

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thx, for reply. Then I think, I will consider upgrading my CPU and motherboard too on 1155 socket, but I'll do it later after upgrading video card.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Sensible approach upgrading the MB and CPU but remember that the i3 CPU will bottleneck your new video card so you will not get the immediate and full benefit of the new card, I mention this just in case you feel let down when you first test the card for gaming.

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

snorre1349

snorre1349

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
sure, I'll get i5 or i7 :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts