Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop With no Icons

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Last night I turned on pc to find that desktop was missing all icons and shortcuts. I had a picture on desktop(Blue Lace actually).
The picture was viewable, but no icons. I did a restart and same thing. I did a shut off utilizing Start>Turn Off Computer>etc. Rebooted pc, same result. I then shut off pc on back of tower at Power Cord with on/off safety switch. I turned switch back on, then turned on pc at front of tower. Microsoft did a chkdisk going through files via three steps. After that was finished desktop came on again, but reacting quite slowly, and icons did appear but not as swiftly as normal. I left computer on all night, in case I couldn't get icons back and I wanted to be able to contact this site first with my problem. At present icons and shortcuts are there. I removed the picture., I can access all programs and my browser also, but am leary of turning off pc until I save some important files on flash drives or Cd's or whatever media i may have.

Please advise

Regards

Waynf

Advertisements

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Further to my posting for above mentioned problem, I just noticed that icon in taskbar for my Avira Personal Anti-Virus program is missing. Avira is currently downloading update, but taskbar icon was wiped out. I was able to access Avira Control Centre.

Edited by admin, 20 February 2013 - 01:10 PM.
topics merged