Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Downgrading win 7 to xp

• Please log in to reply

geekwithproblem

geekwithproblem

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,
can someone please help me?
I have a laptop with an illegal version of Windows 7 Pro with no disk and want to put a legal version of Windows XP on it. I have tried by just putting the Windows XP disk in and to install it in a normal way which did not work. Every time it it was ready to install I got the blue screen of death with the error code ,,7B``. I also checked the forum for an answer with no luck. It is not possible to format the harddrive.
Can somebody please give me an answer on how to fix my problem.
Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
geekwithproblem.

Welcome to Geeks to Go.

I appreciate that you are not asking for help with the Windows 7, but may I just mention that NO HELP can be given with that as one of the Terms of Our Use is

We will NOT help anyone we suspect of having obtained their software or services illegally.

I mention it only to save you asking later in the topic if the installation of XP proves impossible, due for instance to damage, scratches on the disc.

The stop error 7B indicates inaccessible boot device.

I suspect it is because you have SATA drive and the disc is not XP SP3 to which many SATA harddisk controller drivers were added.

When you start the install you will see F6 Load drivers.

Go to the computer manufacturers site download the SATA driver, save it, if the computer has a floppy drive put it on floppy and at F6 load from the floppy

If it does not have a floppy then see this.
http://news.softpedi...-F6-47807.shtml

YOU may be able to get round this by going into BIOS and changing SATA mode to IDE mode

Edited by Macboatmaster, 20 February 2013 - 04:02 PM.