Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ADVANCED START UP OPTIONS

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
If you are still finding your way around 8 (aren`t we all )
Then you may not have realised how to access the advanced boot options - previously on 7 and earlier systems from the F8 key.

If you press the windows key + C and then click SETTINGS and then Power, then hold the shift key and click restart you will be presented with the screen on the top left of my image.

From there you may proceed to the various options.

Please note that depending on your computer and its system, whilst your screens may be slightly different, in the main, the options will be the same.

If the computer had 8 installed on an upgrade, and the firmware was BIOS based rather than the UEFI found on all computers,  on which 8 was pre-installed and bearing the Microsoft Certified for Windows label, then that option will not be present and the BIOS setup is accessed in the normal way - F2, Delete, for example,  on boot.

On systems where 8 is pre-installed, after three boot failures the system normally detects this and you are automatically presented with the options screen

Attached Thumbnails

• final8.jpg

Edited by Macboatmaster, 20 February 2013 - 07:41 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I used this tutorial to add Safe Mode as a normal boot option: How to Add "Safe Mode" to Windows Boot Manager in Windows 8

Windows key + C does not give me a Power choice, but then I use Start8 for a normal Windows 7 style Start menu so that may be why.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• Topic Starter
  • 7,237 posts
Ztruker

Thanks, try now - amended Windows + C - settings, power

Edited by Macboatmaster, 20 February 2013 - 07:43 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Mo betta :thumbsup: and it works ;... cool, thanks.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• Topic Starter
  • 7,237 posts
Thank you to YOU.

I knew but missed it out when I typed the post.

The shortcut keys are great are they not - the new ones for Windows 8.

http://www.geekstogo...oard-shortcuts/

cannot claim any credit as I said on that post - it was simply learning Windows 8 - it was all provided by Help and Support

Edited by Macboatmaster, 22 February 2013 - 04:34 PM.