Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

motherboard overheating?

• Please log in to reply

wildcat114

wildcat114

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
my computer keeps shutting off at random times. i recently replaced the fan on my machine, but when i touch the back of the computer, it is quite hot when the shutdown occurs. any ideas on what the problem is? any help would be great. thanks

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Go here for Everest Home Edition

http://www.lavalys.c...p?pid=1&lang=en

Click + next to computer then sensor

Edited by Keith, 06 June 2005 - 04:10 PM.

wildcat114

wildcat114

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
ok i did that.....the temperatures are rather high i believe....but i dont know whats high and whats not.

The motherboard: 109 Fahrenheit
CPU: 111 Fahrenheit
AUX: 79 Fahrenheit
2nd Hard Drive: 113 Fahrenheit

what is your solution....thanks for all your help

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I would look at cooling the Motherboard and the 2nd drive, the CPU and AUX are not unusual

I would also look at hardware issues, so try tuneup trial

http://www.tune-up.com

Run disc clean up then registry clean up then click optimize to run reg defrag, which takes a while then needs a reboot. After the reboot, click optimize then system optimize then optimize the computer and then the internet configurations, each need a reboot.

With these out of the way, the software side should be clear, leaving hardware, possibly the drivers for the video adapter

scrushmaster

scrushmaster

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
sometime the psu can cause a heat up problem too. Was it only replacing fan that cause this problem or did you replace anything else? Also make sure your case has clearance and make sure that you are not activily overclocking. Yeah and clean up your registry via, msconfig so not as much stuff loads on startup and download the 15 day trial of diskkeeper and defrag if you can with nothing else running. Why did you replace that fan with a worse one if i might ask? lol

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Yeah, if the back of the case feels hot then that would indicate it could be the PSU instead thats overheating. The cpu temps are not really high enough to cause the shutdown problem, unless the temperature rises much above the figure given by everest.

What make of PSU do you have & what power output rating is it?

It could also be your video card thats getting too hot, but if the case feels warmer near the top, then more likely its the psu.

Which fan did you replace?

wildcat114

wildcat114

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
well....i think i found the problem....apparently my motherboard fan (the one on the rear end of the machine) has stopped rotating. this is where the heat is coming from also, so that makes sense. im almost 99% sure that this is the problem. so would i have to replace that fan? and if so...how much would something like that cost and where is a good place to buy one? thanks again for all your help

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can check the wiring, if it is in place, remove the fan, take it to a shop and ask them to test it, if it does not work, get a new one. Ask them if you can get an uprated fan.

Where to buy depends on your location but the cost will not be prohibitive

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Keiths right, the fan shouldn't be expensive but I'm not sure whether you mean the fan that is fixed to the case & connected to the motherboard or a fan that actually sits on the motherboard (eg chipset fan) or do you mean the cpu fan?

wildcat114

wildcat114

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
its the fan on the power supply box that is broken....the only way to replace that is to replace the whole power supply, correct? i think ill just have to go do that...thanks for the help

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Worth checking with the manufacturer of the power supply or a PC shop

Astrotrain

Astrotrain

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
If you want some excitement and are are knowledgeable in Electronics, you can
clean your PS Fan. If this baby gets gunked up with lots of dust and crud, it
will slow down and not move as much air out of your PS and eventually fail.

Thus causing the PS to overheat, and shutdown.

While your at it, you should make sure ALL your system fans are clean. Again
crud on the fan kills the performance of the fan, not able to slice through the
air as good.

If your case supports to back fans and a front fan... populate it with the fans.

Kraytwin

Kraytwin

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Hey can anyone tell me is temp for motherboard is normal Advent DT2410 (SOCKET 0) its never been like this before its always been around 25-30C and now its runs up to 55-60C on games but everything is normal GPU 3071MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti (Gigabyte) 49 °C, CPU ntel Core i5 3330 @ 3.00GHz 50 °C

Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology, thanks if anyone can help :)