Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop not working due to hard disk encryption

• Please log in to reply

yehnoon

yehnoon

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a laptop which was used for company work and data is encrypted, as I upgraded to a new one, this one is spare for me and I want to give it to my nephew. However, I can not make it work like a normal laptop as it is always asking my user name and password after booting every time.

I did try to remove the encryption after logging in but it did not work.

It is possible to make it work like a normal laptop if I buy a new hard disk and take the old one out?

Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Are you saying that it asks for a password when it has booted to the Windows log in screen?

Or is it asking for a password before Windows even starts?

yehnoon

yehnoon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi

I will explain in detail. As a company laptop I was needed to log in as soon as laptop starts and then it will go into windows etc. etc. So now I have a new laptop which is working absolutely fine.

But the old one has still got McAfee End Point Encryption installed. I formatted the HDD using an external SATA enclosure so nothing is on the HDD. I was trying to install Win 7 on it so I can give it to my nephew as a new laptop but it is not letting me do anything at all.

The Win 7 cd loads up and stops after 5 min saying that an error has been spotted.

So I am thinking to buy another HDD and try that.

It is asking password before windows even start.

The question is if that is going to work or I will still struggle due to McAfee End Point Encryption? Is the Encryption not only on the HDD or it is on the machine itself?

Thanks

Edited by yehnoon, 22 February 2013 - 09:38 AM.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
It sounds to me like your company installed a HDD password in a bios scenario on the old machine and you would have to contact them to discover the password so as to remove it.

yehnoon

yehnoon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I checked in BIOS and there are no passwords setup.

If I buy a new HDD, will that work and I can just get rid of old HDD.

Thanks

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
There is always an ability to set a system password aspect in the bios.

Consider this image from a Dell laptop...

Posted Image