Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Water damage

• Please log in to reply

Jujucars

Jujucars

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My iPod recently fell into some water and was not completely submerged. Now whenever I press hard at the top of my screen white blotches appear and then fade. What are these and how do I get rid if them?

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
It sounds to me like some water has penetrated between the screen and the covering.

The writing may be on the wall for the iPod.

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts
I've seen the Rice Trick save more than a few water damaged cell phones. It might work for an iPod. Here's one link, but search for variations on Google using the terms, cell phone water rice trick.The theory is nothing more than...remove the SIM and/or other card(s), remove the battery, towel dry, then place all components in a plastic container and cover on all sides with a generous amount of rice. Seal the container with a lid and wait a few days to a week. The rice absorbs the water as it evaporates thus drying the unit. Hopefully, your iPod sustained no component damage from the water and come back to life.

I've had friends that found 3 days to short of a time for a good result with an iPhone and after waiting 7 more, it came back to life. Without exaggeration, I know of 4 phones saved and have heard through friends of 5 more. Patience seems to be the key. Let the rice do it's "magic".

Since this is an iPod, I'm not sure if it comes apart. If not, don't force it, just put it in the rice "as is". Maybe also put it in a warm (not hot) place to speed up the evaporation.

Edited by Biscuithd, 22 February 2013 - 05:43 AM.

adamsmith0123

adamsmith0123

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I think you should have it check to a professional before it gets worst, just to make sure.

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts

Try to dry it with dryer..

Please, anyone reading his thread...DO NOT use a dryer of any kind on an electronic device. You can rapidly overheat sensitive components. Please trust me on this, I made my living for many years as a repair technician. Consider the Rice cure. Even Apple recommends it.

Interesting as well, just prior to logging into G2G this morning a co-worker told me that he resurected his daughters cell phone over the weekend with the Rice cure. He left in a zip lock bag (rather than a Tupperware bowl) covered in rice and sealed, since Saturday. So, about 5 days.

If you're uncomfortable trying that Rice cure yourself, send the device to Apple where I'm told, they will try the Rice cure.

Last bit of advice. Consider the extended protection plans offered by Apple, Amazon and many others. Be careful to buy the one that includess protection against water damage as that is the leading cause of deceased handheld devices.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Another product that will prove just as useful, if not more, is Silica Gel or Sand.

One may find sachet's of these in a box of newly bought shoes or other items that could be damaged by moisture content.

iKissedAGeek

iKissedAGeek

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I agree with using rice. It worked for my iPod once. My friend tried it on his but it didn't work then. I guess you can only get so lucky with what's salvageable or not.

gunner123

gunner123

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
If that still covered by warranty go to your manufacturer.

Cliffayres

Cliffayres

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Whenever any electronic product such as iPod or mobile fall into the water, it must be kept in the sun, so that the water must be soaked as soon as possible.
http://www.chemdryra...leaning-sydney/

hairyeyes

hairyeyes

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Don't turn it on.
Place it on a bed of NON COOKED rice (dry rice) and then cover the top with rice.
If you can get enough silica gel then this is better than rice.
leave it in a dry room with the lid of the container do not close the lid the rice and Ipad is in.
Change the rice/silica after 24 hours and repeat till dry.
A shoe or electrical shop may give you some silica for free or you may be able to get some from Amazon.

Meowware

Meowware

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Try the rice trick as said by members above, but, turn off your device fully.

After, backup all your important files if it ever decides to break again.