I've recently experienced a crash (corrupted hard disk - files rescued etc). This part may be relevant because during file rescue at the Asus centre, the files I could rescue were transferred into an external Seagate Hard disk that is now no longer showing the files that existed prior to this rescue mission.
So, I've got over 600gb of files that are missing when I open the external HDD. But when I tried data recovery with Pandora file recover, I realized the files were just hidden, as they were shown in tact in the Pandora recovery program. So, I then tried to
1. Scan the external hdd with my antivirus (TrendMicro Titanium - didn't work)
2. Use the hdd tool "Error-checking" to see if it could be repaired - nope,
3. go through cmd to unhide those files (as per tech threads online, command given as attrib "-h -r -s /s /d g:\*.*" ),
4. unhide files through Folder Options in Control Panel,
5. Unhide files using Folderfix - this was probably the closest, displaying all the hidden files in the Folderfix panel, but was unable to unhide the files citing the error message 'access to folder paths denied'.
I then followed the direction of a Youtube tut video on how to allow access by entering the Properties of the drive, the Security tab -> Edit -> give permission for NETWORK SERVICES, which ended up in a small window running through all the files of that HDD, stopping at certain files to indicate that permissions for those files could not be obtained. And that's where my adventure ended, as the missing files remain hidden in my treasure trove of an external hdd.
Thus far, these 5 options have failed and I'm looking to see if there's anything else I could try. Is there something I'm missing out? Do let me know what information you may need to diagnose this. Thank you very much!