Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

ATX Power Supply

• Please log in to reply

Fred60

Fred60

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Is 9.6V normal for an ATX supply? My computer sometimes shuts off while I am using it. I used a fan speed program that monitors the voltages. The only voltage that is significantly different than the supply specs is the 12V output.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I suspect the 9.6v reading you are getting is the +12v rail reading?
If so that is your issue because it should not be below 11.74 volts to be stable. Anything less can be a potential issue. Since yours is showing 9.6 I would be suspicious of a failing PSU.
What program are you using to check this with?
Just to verify can you do the following and post the requested screenshots please.

Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

Please download and run Hardware Monitor
Installation (setup version only)
HWMonitor is a hardware monitoring program that reads PC systems main health sensors : voltages, temperatures, fans speed.
The program handles the most common sensor chips, like ITE® IT87 series, most Winbond® ICs, and others. In addition, it can read modern CPUs on-die core thermal sensors, as well has hard drives temperature via S.M.A.R.T, and video card GPU temperature. Please get a screenshot of the sensors window and post it in your next reply.

Fred60

Fred60

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Thanks, I will get back with the results shortly. This is a computer that has been down for a couple of years and I just installed a new mother board. Trying to get it back up and fully functional.

Fred

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not a problem I will get a email when you respond with the results. I check my emails all day just about once a hour so I will respond as soon as I see it. :thumbsup:

Fred60

Fred60

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
OK here are the screen shots

Attached Thumbnails

• HWMonitor snap.JPG
  • Speedfan Pict.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep I would say the issue is with the +12 volt rail and not being within the accepted range for powering the system.
Do you know the make and model of the PSU?

Fred60

Fred60

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
I'll have to get back to you on that. Need to open it up.

Thanks,

Fred

Fred60

Fred60

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
OK, it is a Logisys PS480D. Should I put in a larger one?

Fred

Fred60

Fred60

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Just took the PSU apart. Looks like it is almost toast. I can see it has been pretty hot and a couple of bad solder joints.

Thanks for helping putting the finger on it.

Fred

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah I would suggest a new one and you might look at a name brand that is 80 plus certified.

Fred60

Fred60

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Just a quick update. I got a new PSU and everything is running smoothly.

Thanks again for the help.

Fred

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is great to hear and we were right on the money with the prognosis. Thank you for allowing me to assist you and I am very happy to say Congratulations Fred60. :rockon: for a successful resolution for your issue.

I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed us to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :thumbsup: :ph34r:
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible