Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading physical storage

• Please log in to reply

Crunchy409

Crunchy409

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Hey guys!

This is my absolute go-to site for anything PC related, I appreciate any of your thoughts!

My main objective at this point is to increase storage space for photos and videos (just had our first child!). It is very important to me that there is a backup for everything.

My current set-up is a Barracuda 7200RPM, 32MB Cache 500GB internal drive and a 2nd WD 500GB external drive for backup purposes.
My CPU and Motherboard as follows:
CPU: Core 2 Duo E6750
Motherboard: Gigabyte

Easiest option would be to buy a $120 seagate 1 TB drive and use the other 2 500GB drives as backup drives.

I'm also looking for any other options. Since I am looking to spend some money, is there another route I should go? Really don't want to spend more than $150-$200, which I know limits me.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Advertisements

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Any 1TB HDD will be the cheapest way to go. You can easily ghost your current HDD image over to the new drive and use the old drive as a backup. $120 is a lot for a 1TB drive in the US. Where in the world are you, so we can try to help you find a better price?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Hello again Crunchy409

With a $200 max budget you could get a 1TB HDD + a 128GB SSD which will speed up your boot times and still be within budget HDD http://www.amazon.co.../?tag=pcpapi-20 SSD http://www.superbiiz...CT128V4SSD&c=CJ Total cost including shipping = $168.81

Crunchy409

Crunchy409

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Thanks guys! I'm very interested in putting Windows 7 on an SSD for fast boot, performance, etc. Would I need a fresh install? How would that work? I would rather not worry about re-installing everything at the moment. (maybe over the summer).

thanks!

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
You are going to have to fresh install if you want just windows on the SSD, and install everything else to the HDD. It's not fun, but the only way to make it work right.

Crunchy409

Crunchy409

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Ok. I finally was able to find time to look into things.

I'm thinking two of these drives (one for main use, another purely as backup) and this card to make my mobo work with SATA III.

Thoughts?