Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Driver problems?

• Please log in to reply

OliSmith97

OliSmith97

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Recently i have built a computer. I got windows 8 installed and at first everything seemed ok. Recently things have started playing up, firstly Microsoft office professional plus when saving on word or publisher after writing a paragraph or two my computer seems to lock up and freezes on the save icon for a few seconds then the CPU fan kicks in. I am unsure to the reason of this problem as i belive it was installed properly. The second problem i have been having is that as i am on windows 8 i can't use my motherboard driver disk. This meant that i have to get all drivers off ASUS's website. I installed AI SUITE II and after each section of the program had installed it came up with an error message stating that it could not find the file location. Now every time my computer loads into my profile i receive an error message saying that the file being read is not a valid “portable network graphic” image because it contains an invalid header. Another problem I have had is that recently after I had experienced a few problems I shut down my computer and when I rebooted it, it took around a minute and whilst it booted fans and dvd drive would rev up then die down and repeat the process. The normal boot time of my computer is around 15 seconds. My computer is a custom build with the following specs:
Intel i5 3570k
ASUS P8H77-M LE motherboard
8gb of corsair xms3 ram
MSI R7870 Graphics card
120gb OCZ agility 3 ssd
Segate barracuda 2tb HDD
Antec 520w semi modular psu
Arctic i30 heat sink

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
OliSmith97.

Welcome to Geeks to Go.

Sorry you have waited a while for a reply.

The immediate evidence available from your post tends to suggest a temperature, or ram issue, possibly caused by overclocking.
Have you please.

That processor the Intel i5 3570 will run with ram.
Memory Types DDR3-1333/1600 on SPD - Serial Presence Detect without altering any settings altering to the ram in BIOS.

Whereas the motherboard the Asus P8H77-M LE can handle that and the following
2 x DIMM, Max. 16GB, DDR3 2200(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/2000(O.C.)/1866(O.C.)/1800(O.C.)/1600/1333 MHz Memory.

However to use anything other than the 1333/1600 is considered an overclock situation, that does not mean you cannot run with it, but it does mean that it may require settings to be changed.

What please is your ram specification.

Additionally if you have accepted any driver updates from windows for that graphics.
MSI R7870 Graphics card.
Updates are automatically downloaded and installed on 8, depending on how you have configured that setting, I would consider going to the MSI site and re-installing their driver, following there instructions.

In fact, I think I would do that FIRST

Edited by Macboatmaster, 25 February 2013 - 05:47 PM.