Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need experienced input on this,Upgrading laptop CPU

• Please log in to reply

dirtydangler

dirtydangler

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I was at a pc shop.Seen a N930 new & on sale for $40,caught my interest.Pretty cheap.I have a 5551-2036.Laptop series list I looked around & noticed the Amd/phenom P320,N830 & 930 all run on the AMD M880G chipset.This is a snip of my 5551 laptop manual.
Posted Image
M880G Chipset with ATI Radeon™ HD 4250 Graphics(My GPU))
Cpu specs:P320(dual core) my current CPU,N830(Triple core),N930(Quad core)
Here is specs of a acer 5553G-5221Shows Phenom N930 cpu & AMD M880G chipset.

So the socket & chipset matches.I noticed the FBS & W are different on the cpu's specs.So I looked a lil further.My laptop's motherboard model# is new75 la 5912p.
Still looking for detailed specs to find the FSB rating.But in the manual for my laptop,it shows that mine can handle 1333mhz DIMM speed.On the cnet link it shows 1333mhz on FSB on the 5553G-5221.I may be getting confused with different buseses lol.I also checked the batteries of the laptops.Both use a 6 cell 10.8V 4400mah out of the box.
Now here is what I comeup with so far.
Chipset-Match
Socket-Match
Cpu Microarchitecture,platform,Processor core name,Manufacturing process,Features,On-chip peripherals-Match
Cpu bus speeds-N930 is 200mhz higher
Thermal Design Power-P320 25W & N930 35W
But...batteries of my 5551-2036 & the 5553G-5221-Match
I'm still trying to get more info on my mobo.Although the N930 is 200mhz higher & draws 10W more I believe it should work.Heat shouldn't be a issue.I can max my laptop & it stays very cool(28-32*C when maxed in a 75-80*F room).Made my own cooler for my laptop :cool: .Any input is appreciated,but please don't say "You can't upgrade cpus on laptops".Some laptops,you can't.Most laptops,you can.Wish more have it done it on their laptop.Acer Aspire 7741 CPU upgrade

Advertisements

dirtydangler

dirtydangler

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Bump :help: