Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External Hard Drive Problem

• Please log in to reply

jimbocan

jimbocan

• Pip
  • 2 posts
While trying to copy files from one external drive to another, using the “Cut and Paste” option. Several of the folders and files were transferred. I then noticed a message like “unable to copy file, file too deep” or similar, then the procedure hung up and I had to reboot the computer.
When I rebooted, my external drive G: was recognised and the folders which had not been copied were viewable, but when you clicked on each folder they were empty of files.
When right clicking on the drive G: for properties, the information that 279GB total space, of which 35.74Gb were free in NTFS format.
When I switch on the G: drive now, I get a dialogue box with exclamation mark in yellow triangle with the message:
Windows Delayed Write Failed
Windows was unable to save all the data for file G:\$Mft.
The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.
Has this data all been lost, or have the pointers to the files been corrupted and the files recoverable?Would appreciate any advice on this matter.

My OS is Windows XP SP3

Edited by jimbocan, 22 February 2013 - 02:58 PM.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
The Windows Delayed Write Failed happened on the external hard drive you were copying the file to

You HDD that had all the data you were trying to transfer to the other one was deleted because you used the Cut/Paste instead of the Copy/Paste option, by choosing cut windows deletes the file after pasting it and since your other HDD had a Delayed Write Failed none of the files copied will not appear on that drive.

Is your other HDD is a drive of 1tb, if yes then the problem is that Windows XP when formating the drives uses the default Bytes per sector (512kb) and those new drive need to be formated using the 4096 kb per sector making that when windows tries to write to the disk the sectors are not aligned properly and creates the Windows Delayed Write Failed.

If it is WD hd it is possible that is why, if it is then read this article and it will explain why and how to fix the problem if using XP

http://hothardware.c...-Pay-Attention/

Hope that helps

Edited by Alzeimer, 23 February 2013 - 09:44 AM.

jimbocan

jimbocan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Many thanks for the reply Alzeimer.
The 2Tb drive that I was copying to is a Seagate drive and a number of files were transferred to that file before the problem occured.
Will the files still be on the original drive, even thought the folders are shown as empty, but the profile for the drive displays the information that, of the 279Gb, some 35.7Gb is free.
Not sure if, during the cut and paste process, the original files are "trashed" or if the pointers to each file are replaced.
I understood that the files would still be on the drive, until a Format of that drive is carried out.
Will the files be recoverable??

Edited by jimbocan, 23 February 2013 - 11:03 AM.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Have you checked in your recycle bin, cut folders/files are sent to the recycle bins and unless you have deleted more files and that the cut folders do not exceed the 10% the recycle bin accepts (10% of your Hd capacity) you should still have your files.

As for the files that you got on your Seagate 2tb, yes the files that were copied before the Error message will be there but check them all because (from personal experience) sometimes not all files in folders are copied (left me with programs without the .exe files but with the rest of the files in the folder)

Seagate from what I read have no jumpers (7-8) to work for XP but a 512e kb (it moves up the sectors by 1 to simulate an alignment) per sector option that from what they say should work with XP even if misalingned.