Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Nailed to the wall - can't startup !

• Please log in to reply

Hardluck Hank

Hardluck Hank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I can only get at it via my friends Win HP Pro installation disk. I can't get get into safe mode or command mode directly.

I did a little research on the hal.dll problem. I think my problem is really not with the hal.dll, but rather when I did a system restore, it rerutned my boot.ini file to appear that there is only 1 partition. Evidently when the restore partition is created, it copies the existing boot.ini. However, once the restore partition is created, there are 2 partitions. To complicate matters, I later created an additional 3 more partitions on the 160G drive. Executing MAP in cmd mode reveals there are still 5 partitions. However, the installation disk has no edit function so I haven't figured out how to modify the boot.ini record so that is compatible with the hal.dll which I suspect is still set up to deal with 5 partitions. The commands on the installation disk won't let me modify the file directly or make a copy to the floppy drive so that I could edit it on another machine.

I should think this kind of problem must have been presented to you guys before. Hopefully sonce I get past this one I can at least get to safe mode.

Suggestion and/or education Please !!

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Opion 1 with the cd in the drive see if it will let you type
sfc(space) /scannow.
On a normal system this finds corupt files and lets you replace them.
To be honset I don't know with Dell. You might want to ask for another opion.
At least you have a HP disk to work of. You could just use your friends XP disc
and reinsall windows to the same directory as before or
see if your cab files are on your hard drive.

Edited by peterm, 08 June 2005 - 09:52 PM.

Hardluck Hank

Hardluck Hank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Does option 1 (XP install) take you to a command prompt to issue the stc command? I certainly don't want to begin an installation accidently. My current system is a HE. My friends CD is a Pro and it is already installed on another computer. Even if I were to install it, wouldn't I still have the same problem about boot.ini only specifying 1 partition, when in reality I have five?

Right now I am using option 2 (restore) which then allows me to get to the command prompt. But that command prompt only has a limited set of DOS commands but doesn't include run or edit. Furthermore I can't write to my floppy drive (access not allowed) although evidently I can read from it.

BTW I have an HP Pavillion - not a Dell.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
sorry hp
sfc is a program to replace corupt window files if your not happy
doing this then do nothing.
will think of next step.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech