Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Test boot (external build) problems.

• Please log in to reply

TheHitchHiker

TheHitchHiker

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi, so this is my first build and a lot of people on the internet recommended that first I should test my build (or at least part of it) outside of the case.

I did that, installed my video card, CPU and RAM memory onto my mobo, connected the power supply and then shorted the power pins on the mobo.
The system booted but gave me the error that it couldn't find a driver (which is normal because no hard drive was connected). When I tried this for the second time, I may have accidentely shorted the two wrong pins, and now I get no image on my monitor. While I used to be able to do that.

I have already checked all my (power)cables, tried it with just one RAM stick, trying both of them seperately, I checked my HDMI cable, and even pulled all of the parts out of the motherboard and re-insterted them, the only option I can think of now is that I fried something, maybe the video card or the CPU? Please help me, I put a lot of money and time is this machine and I really want it to work.

Thank already, and I hope you can help :)

Advertisements

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
you could have fried the MoBo or something within the PSU. Without a PSU tester, it is going to be difficult to figure out what went wrong. I think shorting pins is a really bad idea. Its much better to assemble the computer into a case and then if you have issues, troubleshoot from there.

TheHitchHiker

TheHitchHiker

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Mmmmm, okay, well that's too late now :(
So I looked up what is PSU tester exactly was, and I think I could buy one pretty soon, but I'm not completely sure, is there any other, quicker way to check what was fried
and are the MoBo and the PSU the only two possible options? Just answering those questions would help me out a lot, thanks man.

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
You can try to find any fuses. You could have blown one in the PSU; I'm not sure if you will find one on the motherboard or not.

TheHitchHiker

TheHitchHiker

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok, thanks, i''l try that and then "report back"

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: TheHitchHiker

First of all you did the correct thing by testing the new hardware outside of the case first, this is commonly referred to as a barebones set up and sometimes breadboarding, this is suggested for two reasons, 1: so that you can confirm that all components are working before you go to the trouble of placing them into the case 2: if the parts do not all work you can rule out a system short caused by a stand off in the wrong place or incorrect case wiring as the cause, it also has the added bonus of the parts being easier to remove and replace when troubleshooting, also keep in mind that many MBs now have an onboard test button to avoid you having to short out the pwr and ground pins.

I would suggest a most basic test of the PSU first to establish whether it is activating at all or not, see link and video http://www.smpspower...rs-pinouts.html and

TheHitchHiker

TheHitchHiker

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Well, can't I know that it's activated, because all the fans are turnung when I turn it on? I just don't get an image.

Ok, thanks, i''l try that and then "report back"

Well, I could see the fuse from outside the PSU, but I looked it up, and there are no visual signs whether or not a fuse is blown, and I was
warned that trying to work on your PSU is not a good idea when you're not experienced. And since I have no experience,and I may have already destroyed something, I thought it woudn't be a good idea.

TheHitchHiker

TheHitchHiker

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
So I tried what was said in the video, my PSU turned on, so no problem there, what should I try next?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Can you post a full list of your hardware for us please TheHitchHiker

TheHitchHiker

TheHitchHiker

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-A55M-DS2
Video card: Radeon XFX 7750 Ghost Thermal
CPU: AMD Athlon II 651K
RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance
PSU: OCZ ModXStream 500W

TheHitchHiker

TheHitchHiker

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I tried something for a second time (clearing the CMOS by taking out the battery) but for a longer time, and IT WORKED!
I got image and a beep and everything. So.....it's solved.
Thanks ALOT for trying to help me, this is a great forum, if this could be marked with "solved" I think that'be great for others

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Great news TheHitchHiker and thanks for the follow up :thumbsup: