Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MS security essentials will not download

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
chuckgibson

I appreciate this suggestions sounds strange, but when it asks

It ask if I want to uninstall the program and I confirm Yes, then it ask if I will allow Norton to keep my computer updated

I have read that if you click YES.

Then reboot and then go to Control Panel, Programs and Features - then select Norton and uninstall it will then work

Whether it will now after an apparent part removal I do not know

Also buried deep within the Norton forums is this

HOWEVER I appreciate that you would not be able to follow that, unless you activated the service in the first place.

You can remove a computer from Norton Online Backup. When you remove a computer from Norton Online Backup, all the data that you stored online from the computer is removed. You cannot retrieve the data that you stored from this computer in future.

When you remove a computer from Norton Online Backup, the computer's online storage space is made free. In addition, Norton Online Backup program is automatically uninstalled from that computer.

Note:

Make sure that you do not need any of the data that you backed up from the computer that you remove. When you remove a computer from Norton Online Backup, you cannot access the data that you backed up from this computer. However, when you remove a computer, Norton Online Backup does not remove any data that is stored on the local computer.

To remove a computer from Norton Online Backup

• Log on to Norton Online Backup.
  • Click Remove a Computer. The Remove a Computer page lists all the computers that are available in your Norton Online Backup.
  • In the Remove a Computer page, select a computer that you want to remove, and then click REMOVE.
  • In the confirmation dialog box, click OK. The Norton Online Backup program is automatically uninstalled from the computer.

To make you feel a little less disheartened, the web is full of reports, with the problems of uninstalling the whole NORTON package offered as trials with new computers.

Other than that I can only suggest REVO uninstaller, but as my colleague will confirm, be very careful what you are checking in that program.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 26 February 2013 - 12:00 PM.

Advertisements

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
[quote name='Macboatmaster' timestamp='1361850952' post='2266927']
chuckgibson

The Norton removal tool sometimes works in Safe Mode when it will not work in normal mode

I also think, that you may have Windows Defender enabled and that should be disabled before you run the Norton tool.

OK. I found Windows Defender and disabled it and ran Norton removal tool in Regular and in Safe mode with no luck. I just realized that after I ran the Norton removal tool the Norton bar come up across the bottom saying that if I turned the firewall off to run the program, I need to turn it back on. I will try that next.

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
WOW!!!! Success.....I think.... After you guys spending hours helping me with this, I don't trust Norton! I am beginning to think it is genetically tied in with my computer.

I turned off the Firewall, disabled Windows Defender,rebooted in the Safe Mode and ran the Norton Removal Tool. (I also followed the advice of clicking YES to have Norton keep my computer updated) Rebooted, turned the Firewall and Windows Defender back on and hit the start button....NO NORTON ONLINE BACKUP!!! Rather or not it will reappear,,,, who knows.

Now, So I don't hit any more wrong buttons or anything, can you tell me where to get and how to load Avast?

Edited by chuckgibson, 26 February 2013 - 08:23 PM.

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
In case you guys post something I don't want you to think I have disappeared. I will be out of town until late Thursday afternoon. Thank you for your patience!

narenxp

narenxp

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
You can try the workarounds given here regarding microsoft security essentials -file corrupt issue.

http://answers.micro...99-78de71210446

You are not alone and many users have this issue.

As rockmilk already suggested,i would prefer Avast over microsoft security essentials.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
chuckgibson

Pleased you made some progress

(I also followed the advice of clicking YES to have Norton keep my computer updated) Rebooted, turned the Firewall and Windows Defender back on and hit the start button

found that, on the Norton forum, it had worked for many people.

Good luck with the rest of it.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 28 February 2013 - 05:39 PM.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Thank you macboatmaser and naren. :)

Are there any more issue's to adress here?

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
I have two more minor issues....

1. I need a safe link to go to to download Avast. (I have read about people going to the wrong place and downloading something that would do them harm.)

2. I have Autoruns, Eula, and Norton Removal tool on my desktop. I went to "uninstall a program" and could not find them on there. When anything is downloaded on your desktop can you just right click and delete it?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Yes.

Uninstall all from there autoruns the EULA is the licensing agreement for autoruns

If the file on the desktop is a zipped file and you extracted to another folder somewhere it will be there as well

If the autoruns and the EULA are on the desktop and the zipped file simply uninstall both from thereRight click delete and then empty recycle bin.

Same with the NORTON

AVAST there is only one place to go that is to AVAST

http://www.avast.com/en-gb/index

If you are not in UK change location top right.

In UK the free AVAST will take you here

http://download.cnet...lang_en&lang=en

Be careful you click on the top download and not the flashing green arrow - which if you look closely is not AVAST

Also watch on installation for uncheck any free offers of toolbars, search providers etc.

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
THANK YOU!!! A special thanks goes out to Rockmilk, Macboatmaster and narenxp. There was another gentleman that tried to help that I think was named Albert but I can not find that post.

You guys are awesome and I can't thank you enough for your help.

Let me warn you.....I am trying to learn and I have a couple of other computers that I am getting ready to start working on, one of them is already on this forum. I had to set it aside to take care of this one before it became corrupted.

Thanks again!!!

Advertisements

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Glad you got it sorted but I think Macboatmaster did all the hardwork here. :thumbsup:

chuckgibson

chuckgibson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
I envy you guys knowledge. When you are dealing with people like me..... you have a full time job!!! I can't say thanks enough!!!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
chuckgibson

I can't say thanks enough!!!

YOU DID and working with someone like you, makes this hobby GREAT

A solution is always good, but a gentleman who so readily expresses his thanks - makes it a pleasure.

Especially when some people post and do not even bother to acknowledge the assistance offered.

Take care.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

YOU DID and working with someone like you, makes this hobby GREAT

A solution is always good, but a gentleman who so readily expresses his thanks - makes it a pleasure.

Especially when some people post and do not even bother to acknowledge the assistance offered.

Take care.

Same here tooks the word's out of my mouth. :thumbsup:

Edited by rockmilk, 28 February 2013 - 10:01 PM.