Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no windows

• Please log in to reply

vab's

vab's

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I have xp installed in my p4 512mb ram, i try to install windows 8,while installing after i format the disk and the setup started copying win 8,it shows some error and doesn't install.Now my computer doen't have any os and when i try to install win xp again,the computer is not reading the cd.and showing error of- no os installed

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
512 megs of memory is a loss cause with Win8.
Secondly is this a brand name system and if so what make and model?
Is the XP cd a Genuine Microsoft, Upgrade or a burned copy?

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Do as rshaffer said, verify that your XP cd is genuine,

secondly since your Windows 8 setup started the setup files are still on your hard disk even if it never finished installing and Windows XP will not install over a newer version of Windows. so you will have to wipe clean (using a third party formatting program) your actual Hard Disk to erase any trace of Windows 8 before trying again to install XP

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 32 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

vab's

vab's

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
well my problem is not solved yet,,, :surrender: and i have an another problem,,i have win7 install in my laptop and i want to install xp in it with a burned copy,,but the lappy is showing problem that check disk for any hardware change.... :help: how can i install xp in it?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can manually run the chkdsk by doing the following.

Tutorial for running chkdsk in Vista\Win 7 located HERE.

vab's

vab's

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
:confused: and one more thing i have heard about (third party formatting program) but i doesn't know exactly about it,,,please tell me about it i guess this prgrm can remove the traces of win7 installed in my lappy so that i can install winxp :happy:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK is Win7 the original OS installed on the laptop?
One issue you may have is there may not be XP drivers for your laptop if it was originally designed to use Win7.

vab's

vab's

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
u doesn't gettes rshaffer,,i am not talking about CHKDSK , :lol: actually the check hardware error comes when i try to install winxp..... :wacko:

vab's

vab's

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
but i guess i can download the drivers from the manufacturer's site.....and win7 is a burned copy too...

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK so we are on the same line what was the original OS that was on the laptop when it was new?
You have stated both XP and Win7 are burned copies so where did they come from? If downloaded what site did they come from?

vab's

vab's

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
when i bought the laptop win7 burned copy was installed in it by the shopkeeper

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK so there is a sticker on the laptop showing the Win7 version and serial number?
What about the XP?

vab's

vab's

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
no it doesn't hve any sticker...and win xp is a burned copy taken from a friend and i didn't know from where he got that........

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK what about the serial number for XP?
What is the make and model of the laptop so I can try to find what OS was originally installed on it.