Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD! Laptop won't work. [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Clara6

Clara6

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello! Okay, so I've been having some trouble with my laptop. Lately, there's been some Blue Screen Errors popping up and then my laptop would just freeze with the blue error still there. The (shortened form)error is: 0x07B. Yes, i have researched the error but i can't do anything to remove or prevent the error now because i can't even sign into my account without the blue screen popping up and freezing.I have disabled the automatic restart. I've tried to boot into safe mode but I can't successfully boot into the mode without it freezing. One time, while booting into safe mode, the laptop screen stayed frozen for an hour so i just shut off my laptop. When I try starting windows normally or starting with 'Last Known Good Configuration', the screen goes black after the window's logo appears. Any ideas or solutions? Is it best for me to just go get a technician to check this out?

I have a HP Mini 110-1020NR with Windows XP SP3. Sadly, I don't have the discs to reboot the laptop. Is there anyway that I can reboot the laptop without having to use the discs? For example, I've tried F11 but i don't see the 'Repair your computer' tab. I've clicked all of the function keys and I seem to not have that. I was thinking that there's something wrong with my hard drive or I might have a virus. If you have any idea of what could be happening, please reply! :happy:

Edited by Clara6, 23 February 2013 - 06:52 PM.

Advertisements

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hello Clara6,

Welcome to Geekstogo.

I assume this is a 32bit machine. If it is a 64bit one tell me before proceeding.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.

Plug the flashdrive into the infected PC.

Enter System Recovery Options.

To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:
  • Restart the computer.
  • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
  • Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.
  • Select English as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account an click Next.

To enter System Recovery Options by using Windows installation disc:
  • Insert the installation disc.
  • Restart your computer.
  • If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc. If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check your BIOS settings.
  • Click Repair your computer.
  • Choose your language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account an click Next.
On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:

Startup Repair
System Restore
Windows Complete PC Restore
Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
Command Prompt

[*]Select Command Prompt
[*]In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
[*]The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
[*]Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
[*]In the command window type e:\frst.exe (for x64 bit version type e:\frst64) and press Enter
Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
[*]The tool will start to run.
[*]When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
[*]Press Scan button.
[*]It will create a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
[/list]

Clara6

Clara6

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
For the Windows Advanced Options Menu all it has is:
Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Enable Boot Logging
Enable VGA Mode
Last Known Good Configuration(your most recent settings that worked)
Directory Services Restore Mode
Debugging Mode
Disable automatic restart on system failure

Start Windows Normally
Reboot
Return to OS Choices Menu

And the reboot tab is just restart. Is there one that is interchangeable with 'repair your computer'?
Thanks for the reply!

Edited by Clara6, 23 February 2013 - 11:52 PM.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hello Clara6,

Okay, no Recovery Console and no installation disk.

Let's see if this is a solution:

This is a way to access your computer using a disk we will create.

Before starting you might like to print these instruction out so that you know what you are doing

• Download OTLPE.iso and save it somewhere you can get it.
  • Insert a writable blank CD/DVD in your CD drive and click on the OTPLE.iso to burn a CD. NOTE:
  • Reboot your infected system using the boot CD you just created.
Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here
  • The CD needs to detect your hardware and load the operating system...can take a bit of time, just be patient :)
  • Your system should now display a Reatogo desktop.
    Note : as you are running from CD it is not exactly speedy
  • Double-click on the OTLPE icon.
  • Select the Windows folder of the infected drive if it asks for a location
  • If asked "Do you wish to load the remote registry", select Yes
  • If asked "Do you wish to load remote user profile(s) for scanning", select Yes
  • Ensure the box "Automatically Load All Remaining Users" is checked and press OK
  • OTL should now start.
  • Press Run Scan to start the scan.
  • When finished, the file will be saved in drive C:\OTL.txt
  • Copy this file to your USB drive if you do not have internet connection on this system.
  • Right click the file and select send to : select the USB drive.
  • Confirm that it has copied to the USB drive by selecting it
  • You can backup any files that you wish from this OS
  • Please post the contents of the C:\OTL.txt file in your reply.

Clara6

Clara6

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello.
I don't have a CD/DVD drive for my laptop but I am using an external CD/DVD drive through the use of a USB cord. I've been waiting for a while with the OTLPE.iso burned on the disc.
Is it supposed to take this long? Is the timing affected since I am actually using a USB cord to connect the external CD/DVD drive?

Edited by Clara6, 24 February 2013 - 02:39 AM.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

Is the timing affected since I am actually using a USB cord to connect the external CD/DVD drive?

Hmm... I don't know about that you would need a techie I think. My guess is though that it won't work.

Let's try a different approach again. This one you can download to a flash drive.

IMPORTANT:
You will need a flash drive with a size of 512 Mb or bigger. Make sure that you do not leave anything important on the flash drive, as all data on it will be deleted during the following steps.

• Download OTLPEStd.exe from one of the following links and save it to your Desktop: mirror1 or mirror2
    • Download eeepcfr.zip from the following link and save it to your Desktop: the mirror
    • Finally, if you do not have a file archiver like 7-zip or Winrar installed, please download 7-zip from the following link and install it: the mirror
  • Once you have 7-zip install, decompress OTLPEStd.exe by rightclicking on the folder and choosing the options shown in the picture below. Please use a dedicated folder, for example OTLPE, on your Desktop

Posted Image
  • Open the folder OTLPEStd which will be created in the same location as OTLPEStd.exe and right-click OTLPE_New_Std.iso. Select 7-Zip and from the submenu select Extract files... and extract the content onto your Desktop in a OTLPE folder:

Posted Image
  • Please also decompress eeepcfr to your systemroot (usually C:\).
  • Empty the flash drive you want to install OTLPE on.
  • Go to C:\eeecpfr and double-click usb_prep8.cmd to launch it.
  • Press any key when asked to in the black window that opens.
  • As indicated in the image, make sure you have selected the correct flash drive, before proceeding.
    For Drive Label: type in OTLPE.
    Under Source Path to built BartPE/WinPE Files click ... and select the folder OTLPE that you created on your Desktop.
    Finally check Enable File Copy.

Posted Image
  • Click on Start, accept the disclaimers and wait for the program to finish.
Your bootable flash drive should now be ready!

• Reboot your system using the bootable flash drive you just created.
  • Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from Flash drive follow the steps here
  • Your system should now display a REATOGO-X-PE desktop.
  • Double-click on the OTLPE icon.
  • Ensure the box "Automatically Load All Remaining Users" is checked and press OK
  • OTL should now start.
  • Press Run Scan to start the scan.
  • When finished, the file will be saved in drive C:\OTL.txt
  • Copy this file to your USB drive if you do not have internet connection on this system
  • Please post the contents of the OTL.txt file in your reply.

Clara6

Clara6

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The PeToUSB won't detect my USB. It has a storage of 8GB so is there any way to detect the USB?

Edited by Clara6, 24 February 2013 - 04:15 PM.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Okay couple of thoughts:

Try right clicking PeToUSB and select "Run as Administrator"

If that doesn't work try running petousb in compatibility mode for XP

Clara6

Clara6

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Running it as administrator worked! Okay, I figured out what went wrong. Everything's all good now :thumbsup:

Edited by Clara6, 24 February 2013 - 05:40 PM.

Clara6

Clara6

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Okay, I figured out what went wrong. Everything's all good now :thumbsup:

Clara6

Clara6

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
When I click Start for the PeToUSB, it says that there was an error during the process of formatting the drive. Any solutions?

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Try this:

When you get the error, close PEToUSB. Format the drive as FAT32. Then move on to the next step. Do not try run PEToUSB again.

Clara6

Clara6

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Actually, I got the USB all formatted now. When I injected it into the laptop, it said:

File setupdd.sys could not be loaded.
The error code is 14

Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

File setupdd.sys could not be loaded.
The error code is 14

This is what Microsoft has to say about that error.

"This issue may occur if your computer contains a hardware component that is either damaged or is incompatible with Windows XP."

There are some actions suggested for you to take that might solve the problem see link below:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330181

My thinking is that you have something damaged in your machine i.e. we cannot solve it using our methods. Try out the suggestions at the Microsoft page and if a simple solution doesn't materialize you will need to take it to your repair man.

Very best of luck to you. :)

P.S. you haven't recently added a hardware component that might be incompatible have you... say some RAM?

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.