Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

About ready to chuck pute through window

• Please log in to reply

zed1

zed1

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
I've got an old XPS 400 running Windows XP, sp3...I know, but she still clunks along, or did. The problem I'm having is that after sitting idle for several hours it wouldn't come out of power save, just sat there with a black screen. Not having any recourse I had to hit the button rather than doing a regular type shut down or reboot.

After rebooting it got to the login screen where I found out that the mouse (wireless) was not responding so I tried a wired one...it didn't work as well. I have tried several different mice both wired and wireless (new batteries) none work. I've tried letting it sit for awhile, discharging any stored energy then booting. Disconnecting all the peripherals and just booting with keyboard and mouse. Booting from the XP OS disc, tried to reload the drivers(it blew by them and went for a regular type boot), pretty much everything I could think of all to no avail. And F8 or Ctrl I don't work either so my guess is the keyboards aren't being seen too.

Now here's an odd thing, I have a Xbox 360 tied in to it (wirelessly) so I can stream video from a external HD to my TV and this is working fine, so that tells me that the Xbox is seeing Windows Media Player which means the program is running and the pute is booted waiting for me to log on.

And finally, I have noticed that when it boots the bios statis bar does not fill in all the way, it goes about 90% and then goes to the Windows boot screen.

I'm pretty aggrievated at this point so any insight or help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by zed1, 24 February 2013 - 02:59 PM.

Advertisements