Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Classic Windows Start Menu in Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

jsaklas

jsaklas

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
Not a problem, more a nuisance. I'm a retired senior citizen and civil engineer who believes that most of MS's changes are simply to force people to keep buying. I have two computers, one running 32 bit XP and one running 64 bit 7. I could just as well use Windows 2000 for the purposes I use these machines, some consulting engineering analysis, Quickbooks, email, surfing, etc. I play no games, edit no films, etc.

I did not like the XP Start Menu and formats, and therefore utilized the capability to convert everything to Windows Classic (i.e. Windows 2000). I like Windows 7's versions even less. Windows 7 allows me to set up a Classic look, and clicking on Start gets me to a 2000 look-alike menu while SHIFT click on Start gives me the 7 menu. However, I can not find out how to add program shortcuts to the Classic Start Menu. "Pinning" puts everything into the 7 Start Menu, and the customizing start menu via Settings/Task Bar and Start Menu does not address the adding of shortcuts to the Start Menu

I know most of you will say, "Be a man and learn 7," well you're probably right - nonetheless I see nothing better in 7 and I want my Classic. Can anyone help me add programs to the Classic Start Menu?

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday jsaklas.

This may serve, Investigate, > http://www.classicshell.net/