Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External Hard Drive -- Sudden Death?

• Please log in to reply

JellyBellyUp

JellyBellyUp

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

I have a 3-year external Samsung hard drive (Link from newegg) that requires a external power supply and has a light that shows when it is on. This past week when I tried to turn it on, the light didn't come on and I couldn't hear the hard drive whirring as it normally does. At first I thought it was an issue with the power supply, but when I took it apart and tried plugging it into a desktop computer using a USB cable, it recognized that it somewhat connected (e.g., Windows notified me of "external drive plugged in" and showed up as "G: External Drive") but it could not read the hard drive (i.e., didn't tell me how many GB were being read, or the hard drive name, etc.). After taking it apart this was the drive inside the enclosure.

I am unsure if maybe it needs more power in order to connect to the computer, or if USB power should have been sufficient and the hard drive has died. File recovery is not crucial, but I'd definitely love to have all my stuff back since I don't have any backups.

I appreciate any input on this! Thanks in advance.

- Girl distraught after losing her 500 GB Lacie external HDD earlier this month. Boo!

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Hello Jelly and welcome to Geeks To Go.

You will need an item like this to properly connect the external 3.5" drive to your machine.

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B001A5SK56