Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Pro pauses while system is running.

• Please log in to reply

IamKraZ

IamKraZ

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
This puzzles me my wifes Desktop pauses (Hangs for a few seconds) no matter what program is running or none at all. The whole system sounds like it powers down for a second or 2, but resumes. It annoys my wife so I figured I'd ask and see if anyone else has had this irregularity and might know a fix that will stop it.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
This could be cause by a failing Hard Disk or a failing Power Supply, it could also be caused by faulty Ram.

Please provide the full specs of your desktop, if you do not know them you can use a free program to give you your answers

For your power supply you can download the free version of CPUIDHWMonitor and post a printscreen of its results.
(to do a printscreen - press printscreen then open PAINT and press Ctrl+V to display your printscreen in paint, save your image as a jpeg image and post it here)

Information needed:
Desktop brand name and model number (if a Dell, HP, ACER ect.)if not the motherboard model
Ram, how many sticks and specs of each
Power Supply model and specs
Hard Drive model
Video Card model if not an integrated video card
and any other harware connected to your desktop

IamKraZ

IamKraZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok I don't know alot about it. It's a HP (Model# MXD60202PN)
RAM is 1-512 chip (I put in to try helping it run smoother) and 2-256 Chips that came with PC
I'll post the paint pic shortly of the specs you asked for.
The HardDrive is a Western Digital 80 Gig HD (came with the PC).
The Video, Sound and LAN cards are intigrated (Built in).
The only other things hooked to it is a standard PS2 Keyboard, Mouse, and Monitor.

IamKraZ

IamKraZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Heres the Picture you asked for.

BTW It was doing this before I ever changed the memory.

Attached Thumbnails

• CPU Info.JPG

Edited by IamKraZ, 27 February 2013 - 02:43 PM.

IamKraZ

IamKraZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
It's the one I'm using right now, lol. because I goofed up my other PC. so I figured I'd kill 2 birds so to speak, lol.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Your power supply voltage looks to be ok and your temperatures also so unless it is the connection to your hard drive that is loose or faulty then it should not be the issue.

Verify if you can that all the connections on your pc are properly secured in their place. Make sure you unplug your computer and that you discharge yourself of any electrical static before touching the inside of your pc.

If you have a free power connection try to replace it for the one already connected to your hard drive

If after checking your connections it still does the same thing you would need to download the iso boot image of your Hard Drive manufacturer (WD) and do a fitness test on your drive to see if it is the problem.

Once downloaded, burn the image on a cd and boot your computer to your CD/VDV-rom to start the test

IamKraZ

IamKraZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I checked the IDE connections and even tried with other IDE cables, but same result. The wierd thing is it sounds like Windows is trying to go into hibernate then realizes I'm actually using it. Like I said in my original post it pauses then resumes with or without a program running. If I'm running a program it will act like a skipping CD or satalite.

I haven't tried the WD program. I gotta find the website and download it first.

Just for info: The HDD doesn't sound off or slow down like the CPU seems to do. It doesn't kick me out of programs, just makes them skip like a CD would. I could live with it, but my wife grrs everytime it does it, lol.

Oh BTW it seems to be timed. does it like in intervals which I didn't notice till yesterday.

I will Download the WD software and get back with you.

Thanks for the awesome help.

IamKraZ

IamKraZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Attached is the Western Digital diagnostics for both my HDDs. I did both the Quick test and the Extended test. Both are good.

What else can I check?

Thanks again,
Kraz
Dual HD WD Check.JPG

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Sorry for the delay, was away.

Everything looks good with your Hard Drives.

You mention ealier that you added a 512mb of ram to your already existing 2 x 256mb in the hope to improve your performance.

I am assuming you have at least 3 ram slots if not 4, if you have 4 then it might be possible that a 3 stick of ram combination is not the best thing.

I tried to go to HP and with your model number found your PC but I could not find (HP is the worst at finding info on) the regular specs you usually see for a system so I am unsure if your system can take a 3 stick of ram combination or if it is like most systems and either work with only 1 or a pair or four sticks of ram,

If your system as 4 slots I would try your 512mb by itself. I wish I could tell you in which slot to put if using a single stick but again HP never as the information you really need only the one you do not really need.

So if you have only 3 slots then it is not the cause of your problems, if you have 4 and your using only 3 then it might be a cause for your problems.

IamKraZ

IamKraZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hey Alzeimer,

Well actually before I put the 512 chip in it did it. I thought it was just ramping up (if you kknow what I mean).

I went and removed the 512 chip yesterday to, but it still does it.

Anything else I can check?

Thanks,
Kraz

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Maybe a long shot but you can check the settings of your power setup to see if by any chance the settings to power down your HD as been change.

Right click anywhere on a free space anywhere on your desktop then

1- choose PROPERTIES
2- Choose the tab SCREEN SAVER
3- Click on POWER
4- and make sure the setting for TURN OFF HARD DISK is set to NEVER

power down hd.JPG

IamKraZ

IamKraZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Nope the "Turn off hard disk" is set at "Never".

Checked it twice to be sure.

Can "Hybernate" cause it?

If so is there a way to change it?

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
I do not think hibernate would cause this but you can disable it to make sure.

It could be a program working in the background causing your pauses, it might use lots of memory for couple of seconds causing your pc to freeze/pause.

You could check your running programs by downloading AUTORUNS it will list all your running programs

http://technet.micro...s/bb963902.aspx

Run the program and under FILE you can SAVE it and post it here so i can look at it.