Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

keyboard malfunction, stuck on boot menu

• Please log in to reply

joegenc

joegenc

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Only later had I learned my girlfriend spilled "some drops of water" on my toshiba satellite L655 laptop. Apparently the next time i used it the keyboard was acting all sorts of funny, typing things i didn't type and typing different things along with the things i did type. I managed to get past my password screen and thought to restore my computer to 3 days before as I thought it was some virus thing although my malware virus protection hadn't failed me to that point. I left the room while it was restoring and when i came back it was on the "boot menu" screen, and aside from restarting the computer and holding F2 (which doesn't always work) I haven't been able to get off that screen since my keyboard is so messed up. The enter button doesn't work and just about everything else at this point.

I was thinking about plugging in a new keyboard but i wasn't sure if it'd recognize it seeing that i can't even get to my desktop. Any advice?

Advertisements

plac

plac

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
You might try a usb or bluetooth wireless keyboard. If this works, I'd zip all of my personal files and upload them to google drive or amazon cloud storage, or send them bluetooth to your phone or another PC.

If it's just water, I'd put it a very warm spot to evaporate the water; on top of the hot water heater or in sunlight. Either that or put a running fan on it for a few days. If it's sticky stuff spilled in it, then I'd disassemble and clean it or sell it (as-is) on ebay. Most used broken machines sell for around $75, but I've seen some newer ones go for a few hundred bucks. You can search ebay "completed sales" (as-is sales) to see what they're going for.

Edited by plac, 09 March 2013 - 02:45 AM.

plac

plac

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
PS: You could also try using microsoft "remote desktop" which would
allow you to use another pc as your keyboard and monitor (to move files).

Edited by plac, 09 March 2013 - 02:22 AM.