Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

computer has 5-10 minute delay before I can restart

• Please log in to reply

njlock

njlock

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
computer Dell Insperon 530, win xp about 3 years old?, has 5-10 minute delay before I can restart it, It had me scared the 1st couple of times it did this, but TG it finally started up. I thought it might have been a power supply issue, maybe it is? But this last time it did this, (I suppose I should mention, I rarely turn off the unit, maybe 1-2 times a month)I saw a message about a fan error while it was trying to restart, then "press f1 to continue" which I did, and it did (continue).
Anyway now it has me thinking it may be an overheating issue do to a defective fan? Maybe it's too hot in there and won't restart till it reaches an appropriate temperature?

fan.jpg

I actually had to finger flip it to start it moving while pc was firing up.
I left side cover a little open for ventilation for now till I figure this out.

thanks

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
Hello njlock

Replace the fan asap as you are risking frying the CPU + I cannot stress this strongly enough please stay safe and never reach inside the computer while it is connected to the electrical supply - even if the computer is not powered up.

Not sure in which country you are but an example heatsink/fan with thermal paste pre-applied http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835200054

njlock

njlock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
OK, THANK YOU VERY MUCH

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
You are welcome :thumbsup: