Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Vista Windows Update Indicator?

• Please log in to reply

Chimiti

Chimiti

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Does Windows Vista display a System Tray Indicator Icon when Windows Updates are being downloaded like Windows XP does?

This computer that I have been using for the past 3 or so weeks had not been used before that for a year and a half. One of my sisters had had it in storage all that time.

As far as I can see, the Automatic Windows Updates are enabled. I have yet to see any System Tray indication that any Windows Updates have been downloaded all this time. If Automatic Windows Updates are enabled, wouldn't they have started downloading from my 1st connection to the Net ... after it having been in storage for a year and a half?

Anyway, I also ask because the last several days, there had been some sluggishness in Net Navigation. It was like when clicking to access ANY website, there was always an unusually long delay before any attempt to access the website. Then the loading speed would be slow at that.

Today things appear to be better. I wondered ... maybe it was downloading Windows Updates all that time. But, I have never seen anything like the Windows XP Yellow Shield indicator that Windows Updates are being downloaded.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Do a manual Windows Update and see what it shows.

Click on Start, type windows update and press Enter to get there.

Chimiti

Chimiti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Well, it's not so much that I WANT to do a Windows Update ... because I have Dial Up Internet.
I actually dread having to have it start doing Windows Updates via Dial Up ... on this computer that hasn't been updated in a year and a half.

I'm more mainly wondering if there does display a Windows Updates Downloading in Progress indicator in the System Tray when Windows Updates are downloading.
To reiterate ... it's that I wondered whether maybe Windows Updates HAVE been downloading and I've been unaware IF there is no indicator in the System Tray.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
The following icon should appear in the taskbar are area.. It will have an arrow on it if it is downloading

[attachment=63518:windows_update_icon_vista.jpg]

Chimiti

Chimiti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Ahhh, excellent, Essexboy. That's what I was looking for.
I don't believe I've seen that Icon anywhere down there in the Taskbar / System Tray area in the 3 or so weeks that I've been using this computer.
Heck, I haven't even seen it down there WITHOUT an arrow ... which is probably odd considering that the Windows Updates are set to Automatic Install.

I guess I'll find out on the next Update Tuesday what goes down as far as Windows Updates automatically downloading and whether that Icon appears.

Thanks, Essexboy!

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Also check that it is not set to hidden here

[attachment=63523:Capture.JPG]

Chimiti

Chimiti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
I checked in the Taskbar & Start Menu Area and really saw nothing that would prevent the Windows Updates Icon from displaying down there.
I went ahead and disabled the Hide Inactive Icons option. Nothing happened.

It's possible that what's happening is what I alluded to over at the avast Forums.
I think there's a problem with IE because yesterday I got an error when trying to access the avast website with IE.
It started downloading it, but eventually stopped and informed me there was a problem.

Then a while ago when I tried to check the Windows Updates History as per the advice of one of the guys there at the avast Forums ... Windows Update just hung up. I had to exit out of that via Task Manager. I was then again informed there was a problem with IE.

For the meantime, as long as I can browse with Opera, I'm OK.
I'll see what if anything happens on Windows Update Tuesday.

Thanks again for the additional Info, Essexboy!

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
No problem we can continue at Avast .. I have posted there a tool that might assist. It is probably some corruption within windows