Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building first rig. Is this okay?

• Please log in to reply

Rx7HKS

Rx7HKS

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hey all,

I've been doing some research as I've wanted a custom built PC for some time now and went to a few websites to generate different types of system builds(CyberpowerPC, iBuypower, OriginPC, etc.) all to which come out to be quite expensive vs picking out the components myself from online retailers - huge difference in price. So I decided that I am going to buy the components and build it myself, however, I need help as to whether or not what I currently had in mind is okay and whether or not it may be better to substitute 'part A' for 'part B' and so on. My budget for my build is about $2000 and if my memory serves me right, the below is currently around that price frame:

Case: Corsair Carbide Series 500AR ATX Mid-Tower Case
Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 Pro LGA 2011 Intel X79 ATX Intel Motherboard
Processor CPU: Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Water Cooler
Video Card: EVGA GEForce GTX 680 2GB
Memory RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 X 4GB) DDR3 - 1600
Primary Drive: Corsair Force Series GT SSD - 120GB SATA III
Storage Drive: Seagate Barricuda 1TB 7200RPM SATA
Optical Drive: LG Black 12x Blu-Ray Combo Drive OEM
Sound Card: ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 Channels PCI Expressx1 Interface Sound Card
Power Supply Unit: Corsair HX Series 850W ATX Modular 80 Plus Gold Certified
Operating System: Windows 8 64 bit

I've tried to build this exact build on different system building websites and would get some super high rates that it almost seemed like a total rip off compared to buying the parts yourself. I know that they're professionals and would hope that they do an awesome job putting everything together for you, but geeze... Anyway, let me know what you guys think. I am open to any and all suggestions as I'm looking to get started on this project soon. :) Thanks!

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday Rx7HKS, Posted Image

A few questions first before analyzing your build.

What will be the main use for the rig, Gaming?, Workstation? if so, for video, photo, music.
Do you have a specific software program you use, apart from the normal run of the Mill?
In which country will you be purchasing your parts?
What monitor will you be using? Brand/Model please.

Rx7HKS

Rx7HKS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thanks for the response! :)

Sorry I knew I left something out hah. I was planning on using this mostly for gaming as well as your everyday multi-media use. I'm in the U.S. California to be specific. I was thinking about getting a 27" monitor as I've always been tempted to get, but my friend convinced me that for gaming it may not be the greatest idea as it can get difficult on your eyes being able to see everything in front of you. So I was thinking of getting an ASUS VN247H-P Black 23.6" 1ms (GTG) HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor 250 cd/m2 80,000,000:1. I don't know very much about monitors as there's just way too many to choose from. Thanks!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for the update.

You will not be building a professional workstation so you will not need a x79 Mobo or i7 Exreme CPU>

mostly for gaming as well as your everyday multi-media use.

In that case, a i5 3570K CPU will support a top end gamer, (3+ screens with the right video card) and multi-media use. An option here, if you can comfortable get to a Micro Centre, you can get an i7 3770K for the same price as the i5 3570K, pick up only if still available, > http://www.microcent..._1155_Processor
We will sort out the monitor questions later.

Motherboard, not expensive, bu has everything you need, excellent board, > http://www.overclock...herboard-review

Low profile RAM in case you decide to use a after-market cooler at a later date though you should be aware that doing so on a retail CPU where a stock cooler is include, will void the CPU warranty, this from both Intel and AMD.

GPU. mid priced GTX 680. This needs more research before final selection.

PSU Review. > http://www.jonnyguru...=Story&reid=332

Monitor. I will look for a 27 inch to give you an option. I will also look at 24 inch that would be suitable as part of a 3 screen display, possible get one first, add later if you decide.

Pars list. > http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HcBLMonitor to be added.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hello Rx7HKS

If I may also offer some input.

See notes added to your list of parts, they are not intended as any form of criticism but to help save you cash without compromising performance;

Case: Corsair Carbide Series 500AR ATX Mid-Tower Case
Nice case, I would prefer to have a 3 year warranty with it though.
Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 Pro LGA 2011 Intel X79 ATX Intel Motherboard
See CPU notes below.
Processor CPU: Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) Quad-Core Processor
You do not need an i7 CPU for the intended use that you have told us, CPUs with HyperThreading or in the case of AMD 8 core CPUs are intended to be used for rendering/editing videos, 3D modelling or by CAD experts, you would be paying a lot of money for resources that you will not use, this will also influence your choice of MB.
CPU Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Water Cooler
See canned text below;

Your aftermarket cooler, a very important thing I must make you aware of is that you do not need the additional heatsink and CPU fan and if you did use it you would void your CPU warranty both AMD and Intel are clear on this, see below;
AMD;
This Limited Warranty shall be null and void if the AMD microprocessor which is the subject of this Limited Warranty is used with any heatsink/fan other than the one provided herewith.
Full AMD article @ http://support.amd.c...earLimited.aspx
Intel;
damage to the Product due to external causes, including accident, problems with electrical power, abnormal electrical, mechanical or environmental conditions, usage not in accordance with product instructions, misuse, neglect, alteration, repair, improper installation, or improper testing;
Full Intel article available @ http://www.intel.com...b/cs-009862.htm

Video Card: EVGA GEForce GTX 680 2GB
When you compare the performance of the GTX 670 to that of the GTX 680 you will see that you would be paying a lot more money for a minimal gain, go for the GTX 670 and save yourself a sizable amount of cash.
Memory RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 X 4GB) DDR3 - 1600
Again you do not need 16GB of Ram for the intended use as there is no game that will utilize such a large amount, stick with 8GB but ensure that any MB you purchase will accept more as you don`t know what games will require in a few years time.
Primary Drive: Corsair Force Series GT SSD - 120GB SATA III
Good decision including an SSD to speed up boot times.
Storage Drive: Seagate Barricuda 1TB 7200RPM SATA
Great HDD just be sure that you get the 64MB Cache version.
Optical Drive: LG Black 12x Blu-Ray Combo Drive OEM
It will do what you need of it.
Sound Card: ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 Channels PCI Expressx1 Interface Sound Card
Most modern MBs have excellent integrated 7.1 audio chips and you would need to spend a silly amount of money on an add on device to get any better, save yourself more cash and forget this, add one later of you are not happy which is highly unlikely.
Power Supply Unit: Corsair HX Series 850W ATX Modular 80 Plus Gold Certified
Sorry great PSU but again you are paying a lot more than you need to, wait until you have decided on your final selection and then use a PSU calculator to ensure that you will have enough clean and stable power and a minimum 80% output efficiency rating http://images10.newe...tage-Calculator
Operating System: Windows 8 64 bit
Not everyone's favorite OS but I like it.

Example monitor http://www.superbiiz...=AS-VW246H&c=CJ

Rx7HKS

Rx7HKS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thank you guys very much I really appreciate the help!! :) I went ahead and made a few adjustments to my current build based on what you guys said and this is what I came up with:

CPU Processor Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge LGA 1155 3.4GHz(3.8Ghz Turbo)
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus V Gene LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI Sata 6gb/s USB 3.0 mATX
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW Series 2GB
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB)DDR3-1600
PSU: SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold 650W ATX12V 80 Plus Gold
Monitor: Hanns-G Black 27" 2ms HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor

I just included the changes to my current build above. I removed the Corsair H100i watercooler entirely from my selection, however, if I decide to overclock my CPU, a cooling system will be necessary as the stock heatsink/fan won't be sufficient?

The Motherboard I went with the Maximus mATX board which seems a little more on the expensive side(Still less expensive vs X79 Mobo I had in previous selection) vs the ASRock boards but I am huge on sound and it seems like their board has a slight emphasis on that with the onboard audio chipset.

The GPU I downgraded to a GTX670 FTW series which is less expensive than the 680.

The PSU is self-explanatory, saved alot there.

The Monitor I decided to just pick out a 27". It's pretty affordable for a 27".

So with all of that, I seem to be saving a couple of hundred dollars with the changes(About $500). =) I guess my only real question at this point would be if the CPU will be able to comfortably handle high settings and extended gameplay with stock heatsink/fan and no overclocking without going over temperatures? I've always been very hesitant when it comes to modifying settings on my CPU or GPU.

Thanks guys so much you've already done more than enough in helping me figure my build out! :)

Rx7HKS

Rx7HKS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Oh and I also completely removed the ASUS DX Soundcard from my selection as well. Saving money! :)

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Just a quick on, may add to this later, so check it again.
Your motherboard is not a good selection. As far as I know, it is the only one in this price range with the SupremeFX III ((maybe search on the Asus site) but is a Micro ATX, not the best for heat dissipation, everything is a little squashed together.
limited to PCIe 2 (x16/0 or x8/x8) no other slots.
Limited onboard video outlets, No DVI or D-sub.
If you wish to stay with Asus, Suggest go down one level, > http://www.newegg.co...131-821-TS
Agree with Phillpower2 100% on his views about integrated sound.

Edit, ADD
Motherboards with SupremeFX III™Rampage IV Formula, Rampage IV GENE, Maximus V GENE, Crosshair V Formula-Z

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Some sensible changes to your previous selection/s but the advice of iammykyl regarding an mATX MB is sound and an ATX MB is your best option.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I guess my only real question at this point would be if the CPU will be able to comfortably handle high settings and extended gameplay with stock heatsink/fan and no overclocking without going over temperatures?

When playing games, even with maxed out setting on the video card, the CPU plays the minor role and the i5 3570K is heaps powerful enough without any sort of over-clocking so the stock cooler will be fine. Should you desire better performance in an application, most motherboards come with a "*safe* automatic over-clock like Turbo Boost.
If you want to try to get better performance, in gaming, the GPU is where you do the over-clocking, again can be done with supplied software like Hyper Drive. Manual over-clocking can be quite hard that's why you pay a premium for factory over-clocked ones. I would rather just lower the settings a little to achieve playable frame rates.

You would find it easier to register on http://pcpartpicker.com/ select parts for your build, post the Permalink here, saves you typing lists, see your prices in one place. You can go back to the build, edit it and post the link again. It also lets us see the build enabling us to spot any potential problems.

Rx7HKS

Rx7HKS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thanks guys for the responses and great advice. So I did register on parts picker. Makes sense on the Mobo, I decided to go with what you guys had originally suggested on the ASRock Extreme4. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HsDp

I couldn't find the 8GB version of the memory on pcpartpicker so I just added the 16gb version, but I will only be using 8GB so subtract about 40-50 dollars from that. The Video card I will be using the FTW series from EVGA which I also couldn't find there. It's about $20 more on Newegg.

And the Monitor is from Newegg and here's the link for it: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16824254093 Couldn't find it on partspicker, but it looks affordable for what you're getting. My other option was the $199 ASUS VS248HP 24" which I may consider over the 27".

How's it looking? You guys have definately saved me from spending more than I had originally intended to already. Thanks so much! :thumbsup:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Nice build :thumbsup:

Check out the MSI GTX670, it is faster, has more positive Newegg feedback ratings and is less expensive.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
GPU, my choice as well, > http://www.newegg.co...ID=3938566&SID=

I would review your choice for the monitor, I think the Asus slightly better, have Display Port, they also have better warranty.
Which every monitor you get, look very carefully at the cables supplied, > http://www.newegg.co...1^24-236-101-TS

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday Rx7HKS.
Been a while since we heard from your, how are things progressing? An update would be appreciated.