Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I get safe mode on startup with HP dv7-7300?

• Please log in to reply

woodrow896

woodrow896

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Seems I have pushed every button I knew of upon startup and nothing leads me to safe mode. esc, F8, F10, F11 . I can get there thru Windows.
Thanks.

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Have you tried continually tapping F8 immediately on boot up to get into Safe Mode Woodrow?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
If that HP came with Windows 8 pre installed, it has a UEFI firmware, as against the traditional BIOS.

The speed of boot, from POST to the UEFI handing control to the Windows Boot Manager file on the hard drive, is such that you do not have time to key anything.

If you could it is SHIFT + F8.

However it is as I said unlikely that you will have time to key that.

It appears you have found how to do so in Windows that is:
Windows key + C.
Settings
Power
Hold shift key and click RESTART.
then you have all the options.

If the HP was 8 pre-installed then depending on how HP have configured that system it should automatically present the options screen on the third CONSECUTIVE failure to load Windows correctly.

However of course that is no use if it does not and that is why it is critical on 8 to create the system inmage and the repair disc, using the included tools.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 03 March 2013 - 09:31 AM.

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I tried everything Wolfeymole...Macboatmaster I made a system image and a repair disk. I wonder why they took the capability of safe mode away in boot ? They have their reasons I suppose.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Because of what I said, UEFI has the ability, after the POST screen, which is of course when you would key F8, to complete its hand over to Windows boot manager, after it has loaded legacy drivers, which are of course loaded by the firmware now UEFI , was BIOS, in less than 200 milliseconds and that is faster than anyone can press a key

Bit heavy going this one but a good explanation

http://www.saferbyte...dows-8-bootkit/

also may I say that Micorosoft did NOT introduce UEFI it was first desgined by Intel and is now supported by all members of the UEFI design and devlopment which includes all the major OEMS

http://www.uefi.org/about/

And from here in case you do not wish to read it all

http://blogs.msdn.co...ver-before.aspx

These 2-3 seconds include the time allowed for firmware initialization and POST (< 2 seconds), and the time allowed for the Windows boot manager to detect an alternate boot path (< 200 milliseconds on some systems). These times will continue to shrink, and even now they no longer allow enough time to interrupt boot as you could in the past.

We did an informal study and determined that top performers could, at best, sustain repeated tapping at about a 250ms frequency. Even in this best case, catching a 200 millisecond window still depends somewhat on randomness.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 03 March 2013 - 11:02 AM.

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Great info. I am trying to gain an understanding of it. Things are a little more clear now.
Thanks.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
You are welcome

I only sent all the links so that you could if you wished read them.

How are you with 8, do you know the special keyboard shortcuts that are included to make your access to the various screens easier.

http://www.geekstogo...oard-shortcuts/

Edited by Macboatmaster, 03 March 2013 - 11:03 AM.

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I seem to be holding my own with 8 so far. I have just about everything looking like 7 now with my icons and start button. I also went back the old microsoft photo editor and Adobe for the pdf's. Windows media for videos and music.

Installed a Samsung 840 Pro 256gb SSD right off the bat and it was a piece of cake to clone the drive as opposed to the way I had to do an Intel 520 in another machine. I think this took me all of about 15 minutes. Incredibly fast with this 3740 i7. I am astounded actually. CrystalDiskMark went over 500 on the read/write. I posted that in the system build and upgrades section a few days ago.

I was confused on RAID and have a better understanding of it now. I see my machine appears to be all set up for it according to HWINFO64 data I posted but HP doesn't allow it for some reason. I don't need raid but would like to see how fast I could get this to run being a habitual hot rod anyhow. Or maybe setup a mirror image drive. I have an extra HD bay. I tinker to learn on rainy days.

Only had this for a few days and already something took over my browser and redirects...I have no clue but Norton and a couple other AV's could not pick it up. I un-installed my browser and re-installed it and all seems well.

Anyhow, back to the subject...thanks for the shortcuts. The zoom screen would really help at times.
Thanks.

Edited by woodrow896, 03 March 2013 - 02:42 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Just as a FYI: How to Add "Safe Mode" to Windows Boot Manager in Windows 8

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Cool ! Thanks...I set it to default to Win 8 in 3 seconds.

EDIT When it boots to the screen with the 2 operating systems it will default to windows 8 as long as I don't touch the mouse while it is counting down. The mouse kills the timer and then I have to select what I want manually. No big deal, I just won't touch the mouse. FYI.

Edited by woodrow896, 04 March 2013 - 06:13 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hmmm, never noticed that, thanks for the mouse info.

I just tried the Windows key + C method Macboatmaster mentioned and it does work but it's not exactly obvious what you need to click on to get there and I don't think it will work if Metro is disabled by installing Ex7ForW8 to get the Start menu back.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

I just tried the Windows key + C method Macboatmaster mentioned and it does work

Well, it will of course.

By that I mean, only that the method of accessing the advanced options from hold shift key and click restart is one of the Microsoft methods, with the variation if you are not signed in of

If you're not signed in to Windows, tap or click the power icon Posted Image from the sign-in screen, hold Shift, and then tap or click Restart

and another one is

http://windows.micro...uding-safe-mode

IMHO I do not like the idea of having the option on the boot menu - in Windows 8

HOWEVER I fully appreciate that it is a well recognised and it is as I said only my opinion.

Only time will tell, if it works OK when it is really needed.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 04 March 2013 - 04:43 PM.