Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Java Loop Question

• Please log in to reply

rhymin

rhymin

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Hello you smart GeeksToGo programmers. I understand some basic examples of looping, but I am getting more confused as I continue learning.

Here is the example I am working on.

The company has recently changed its total annual compensation policy to improve sales.
A salesperson will continue to earn a fixed monthly salary of $4,000.00. The current sales target for every salesperson is $120,000.00.
The sales incentive will only start when 80% of the sales target is met. The current commission is 25% of total sales.
If a salesperson exceeds the sales target, the commission will increase based on an acceleration factor. The acceleration factor is 1.25.
The application should ask the user to enter annual sales, and it should display the total annual compensation.

The application should also display a table of potential total annual compensation that the salesperson could have earned, in $5000 increments above the salesperson’s annual sales, until it reaches 50% above the salesperson’s annual sales.
Sample Table: Assuming a total annual sales of $100,000, the table would look like this:
Total Sales Total Compensation
100,000 <<Program calculated value>>
105,000 <<Program calculated value>>
110,000 <<Program calculated value>>
115,000 <<Program calculated value>>
120,000 <<Program calculated value>>
125,000 <<Program calculated value>>
130,000 <<Program calculated value>>
135,000 <<Program calculated value>>
140,000 <<Program calculated value>>
145,000 <<Program calculated value>>
150,000 <<Program calculated value>>
The Java application should also meet these technical requirements:
The application should have at least one class, in addition to the application’s controlling class.
The source code must demonstrate the use of conditional and looping structures.
There should be proper documentation in the source code.

I understand that I need a loop to say that if a salesperson meets 80% of the sales target, or $96,000 (because $120,000 * 80% equals $96,000), then the commission rate of 25% starts. But, the 25% commission only takes place until the salesperson hits $120,000. Once the salesperson exceeds $120,000, the acceleration factor of 1.25 begins. This will allow the salesperson to make a commission rate of 31.25% (25% * 1.25) for as much as he/she can sell for the year.

So:

>= 96,000 to <= 120,000 will make the salesperson 25 cents to the dollar for commission.
> 120,000 will make the salesperson 31.25 cents to the dollar for an accelerated commission.

First of all, I am working only on the parts in bold for now.

Am I looking at this entire situation correctly? (I haven't taken a math class in about 8 years and I know I am rusty)

Also, I'm not sure what type of loop to use. I think if someone helped me a little I could look at other examples and put together at least some code to get me started.

Btw, whoever takes the time to help me...I GREATLY APPRECIATE WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!

Edited by rhymin, 03 March 2013 - 05:29 PM.

Advertisements