Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WiFi won't connect automatically at times.

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
As I said I do not know enough about RAID to advise you.

I have asked if someone else can step in.

HOWEVER, re the original hard drive not showing in disk management is it shown in device manager OR if not is it shown in BIOS

Re the HWinfo and the RAID, my error read, I read it as, HWInfo reported the setup as RAID - not simply RAID capability

also notice that according to HWINFO64 this thing appears to be set up for RAID

Re the wireless connection, I suggest you go back to the link in post 7 and proceed step by step

When you have to manually connect, do you then have to type in the wireless access key.

Also go Control panel, admin tools, services and check that WLAN auto config is set automatic

If it is not stop the service, if it is running, change start type to automatic.

Start the service., also checking dependencies

Method 1: Make sure if the WLAN AutoConfig service is set to automatic.

1. Control Panel, admin tools, services
2. Scroll down to the WLAN AutoConfig service, right click on it and select Properties
3. Click on General tab, select Automatic for startup type.
4. Click on Dependences tab and make sure that all the dependences services are set to Automatic. Then click on OK button.

wlan.jpg

REBOOT AND TEST AGAIN please if it still requires manual start, if so see below

Also check that you do not have the wireless adapter set allow computer to turn off power to this device AND that you do not have look for other networks checked

Attached Thumbnails

• wlan2.jpg

Edited by Macboatmaster, 05 March 2013 - 07:59 PM.

Advertisements

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I found something interesting. If it does not connect automatically, it will eventually connect by itself in 2 or 3 minutes. I remember now it did that the first day if I let it set while I grabbed a cup of coffee.

Also, in using the router setup disk with the wifi turned on, I could go into the router setup program, but with the wifi disabled and the LAN enabled and plugged in I could not connect to the routers setup program. However, I could get email and surf the web.. I thought what the F..., I hate computers.

SO, I started thinking that this router might not like windows 8, or not like this new computer hardware so I checked for a router firmware upgrade and found one.
Downloaded it and all of a sudden I was able to connect to the routers setup program thru the LAN. hmmmm
I went back to wireless and did several resets on the computer and all seems well but it seemed well before at times so I will give it some time.

On the RAID thing I was not clear when I originally said this is set up for RAID when I meant RAID capable,...or I think it is. My error.
Found a site where folks unlock the BIOS (to give the end user more capabilities) but it sounds like a good way to brick the computer, especially an HP, so I will not mess with it for now, or maybe ever. But I would be interested in talking to the person or persons that you mentioned about it. Thanks.

Here is a link from the BIOS mod forum.
http://www.bios-mods...ed-bioses--6899

Thanks.

Edited by woodrow896, 06 March 2013 - 06:32 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
DO NOT even consider the site you mention.

You may well end up not with more capabilities but simply a computer that will not boot and if that happens HP will not be interested in any claim under warrantry

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
most computers are capable of some level of RAID or another. usually the low levels (0 and 1 being the most common). they accomplish this through software. windows by default will let you do RAID 0 (striping), if you've ever done any advanced disk management stuff in the past, this is usually better known as extending a partition. this is accomplished through disk manager.

the higher levels of RAID tend to require hardware RAID controllers. especially the ones with more robust redundancy options like RAID 5, RAID 6, RAID 50, RAID 10, etc...

however, none of the RAID levels (hardware or software controlled) really have much to do with the BIOS. you wouldn't configure RAID there. if it were hardware RAID, the RAID controller would have all of the configuration settings (you'd get to that during boot or through software after boot for management of the configured array). if it were software RAID you'd have a software package that you'd use once in windows (typically....I don't deal with software RAID much if at all...there may be some kind of software RAID that has some kind of pre-boot support but I can't say for sure)

of course, when going down the RAID rabbit hole, you need to ask why you're entertaining RAID to begin with. most people will enable RAID 0 for speed enhancements and increased drive size since you write data across multiple disks. but, given the size (and cheapness) of current available drives, those speed enhancements are rarely worth the trouble these days. add to that the fact that you've already got an SSD in the thing and you're really not going to notice the added drive speed during regular home use.

RAID 1 can offer you redundancy since it's a mirroring type of setup, but TBH a solid backup routine is more useful in the home than RAID 1 in my opinion. again, because of the relatively cheap cost of storage these days, just having an external backup destination is the easiest solution for redundancy

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I hear you Macboatmaster...I'd brick this thing for sure.

dsenette thank you for the info. I am probably going to buy another Samsung 840 Pro to play with, same as what I have and instal it in the 2nd hard drive bay and see what I can do with it. I can also use it in my other machine if I want to as well.

I am now curios how to reflash BIOS from a stick if I ever encounter a bricked machine similar to this. I have a copy of the BIOS.exe but that wouldn't do me much good. I also have a machine that flashes eeproms. I am assuming the BIOS is a .bin file or something like that.

No, I am not going to try it on my machine but am just wondering. I would think HP would have the capability built in to recover the BIOS without un-soldering chips and reflashing them. I will read the service manual that I just found when I stop hating computers which is an issue for me at the moment :angry:

Thanks.

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
So far today I have not had a wifi failure on a restart...things are looking up.

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
All is well so far today with the wifi....

1 more small issue...I ordered the 2nd hard drive bay hardware and cable and it will not see the 2nd hard drive which was the original that came with this machine 2 weeks ago that I cloned to an SSD. I can connect it to the usb no problem and it shows up as another drive but when connected internally it draws a blank. I looked in disk management as well. Nothing except the SSD.
I called the company and they send me another cable for it and it still doesn't show up except as with the first cable I can hear the 2nd hard drive run......hmmmm I updated the driver in device manager/storage space controllers but it said I had the latest. I am out of ideas.

Thanks

EDIT Ok I managed to get it to connect but it is slow as molasses with the long HDD cables. I am sending them back.

Edited by woodrow896, 07 March 2013 - 05:46 PM.

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I noticed that I had errors on the drive and scanned it in tools/check disk and it says must be re-booted. OK I selected reboot and repair and it restarted and said that "If you want to skip disk check push any key in X seconds..." I didn't push anything and it skipped the disk check and skipped it again the next restart and the screen came up "operating system failed to start". OK it was running fine and I hit up button and it booted like always.

I then did a shut-down and restart and it did the disk check and fixed the drive. I am starting to get the idea with this computer that it does NOT like the restart function...remember this does not connect on wi-fi sometimes on restart and still doesn't once in a while.

Something about restart hmmmmmmm I won't use that function any more.

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Well Macboatmaster my friend I had to take some time off and think about this...try to understand the protocal when the wifi connects and so forth. I also changed the channels etc.

What I came up with is the Windows 8 machine does NOT like the WPA2-PSK security setting. That is strange because my Win 7 machine and another machine have no problem with it.
Thought I would let you know what I came up with and I appreciate your assistance very much.
Thank you.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Pleased it was fixed, with a little help

The main credit is to yourself

and of course dsenette one of the admins of this site, gave you the run down on RAID, where my knowledge is slight.

Regards

Hope it carries on working smoothly

Here in case they are of any help are a couple of brief posts I have made on 8 and some of the shortcuts

http://www.geekstogo...art-up-options/

http://www.geekstogo...oard-shortcuts/

Edited by Macboatmaster, 12 March 2013 - 08:48 PM.

Advertisements

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
And yes dsenette I wish to thank you too for the advice on RAID.. For what I would do it would be relatively simple but I am not going to mess with it for now. My next project is to have a benchmark shootout in my other machine with the 520 Intel vs the 840 Pro SSD and see what the numbers say..out of curiosity. Thanks !

Edited by woodrow896, 12 March 2013 - 10:37 PM.

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I caved in and ordered a new N router and will see if I can get this thing to connect like it should with WPA2 settings.
I won't give up on this LOL

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I appreciate the answer refers to a Lenova but the settings for the 2230N and the router are irrespective of the computer

See this please

http://communities.i.../message/183383

http://www.intel.com...b/CS-030709.htm

see if you CAN configure those settings

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
After all this screwing around I am back to running WPA2 believe it or not.

About the only adjustment I did not tinker with was on the router "up to 54 MBS". I set it to "up to 150 MBS" and so far it has connected every time upon restarts.

Moved it back to "up to 54 MBS" and had failures. Then back up to "up to 150" and no failures.

I'll be darned.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well the important point is that you solved it.

Well done