Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WiFi won't connect automatically at times.

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
So if you have uninstalled the intel pro set or whatever the thing is called and now installed just the latest driver from Intel

the 1000$ question is, does it now log on to it immediately

Advertisements

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
OK I have the proset software running....re-installed and found it ...and I see that there are a ton of things I can try so we'll see how it goes. I see 2 or 3 logging screens that I need to enable on startup...automatically if possible.

Edited by woodrow896, 23 March 2013 - 04:57 PM.

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
It still screws up with any driver but I manipulated something with the proset software and will watch it. I also changed the channel.

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I have the latest driver in there at the moment. 15.6. I may as well leave it in there.

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
It screwed up and I was able to capture some data for whatever good that will do.

Attached Thumbnails

• wifi test.jpg
  • error.jpg

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
With respect, one of us is getting confused I think

I am saying that my research shows that the Intel proset software MAY be the problem and uninstall it and use just the driver I sent

That is why I asked

So if you have uninstalled the intel pro set or whatever the thing is called and now installed just the latest driver from Intel

the 1000$ question is, does it now log on to it immediately

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Ok I will go back and un install the proset and just use the driver you sent..the 15.6...There is an option in the proset software to allow windows to control the driver and I will try that first just for the heck of it..then un instal the pro set.

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Latest 15.6 driver is in, Pro Set stuff is uninstalled...still no go...put my cursor on the signal icon and it says not connected and networks are available. Same old thing.
Maybe the computer is glitched up somehow even tho it doesn't report any errors. I don't know. It connects most of the time which is better than nothing.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I give up -I hate doing that - but it has to be something very well hidden.

Can you borrow a usb wireless adapter and try that.

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Don't know anyone that has one...I just took out the adapter then re-seated it and plugged the antenna back in and it didn't help. Maybe I should try another of the same adapter? They are not much money. Maybe I can get Intel to send me one to try...fat chance but worth a try. I'll look up usb adapters as well.
If there was a way to delay that WLAN service a bit in services.msc I suspect that might do it but it won't allow it. If I toggle it as quick as I can get there it connects.

Edited by woodrow896, 23 March 2013 - 06:57 PM.

Advertisements

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I know I said I am not going to reload this thing...BUT, I am running out of options and I am forced into it. I just won't give up so I ordered the OEM disks for 12 bucks.

It runs good and does not report any errors but it has crashed and recovered and repaired itself. The wifi acted up before that happened, if I remember correctly.
I found out the hard way this machine doesn't like to boot from the 2nd hard drive (OEM) for whatever reason, probably operator error. I had better keep that OEM drive just as a storage backup.

I have another new Samsung 840 Pro ssd so we'll see how it goes. If that doesn't fix it I might try another 2230 adapter.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Drastic but possibly the best way