Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

BIOS Corruption Issue

• Please log in to reply

Caleb23

Caleb23

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
My HP Pavilion DV5 was overheating, so I decided to disassemble it and use compressed air to spray out the fan hoping that would help with the overheating problem. Here is the link to the video I used when disassembling it if you would need that for any reason. When I reassembled the computer I turned it on and I heard the fan and assumed everything was fine. I quickly realized I was wrong. I was getting no monitor signal and was having the caps and scroll lock lights on the side were flashing twice in sync and then a few seconds pause and then flashing twice again repeatedly. Upon further research I found out it was a BIOS corruption error. I don't really want to follow advice that isn't the best way to go forward with, so what should I do to fix this issue?

Thanks,
Caleb

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,023 posts
Hello Caleb23

Disassembling and reassembling the notebook is not likely to have corrupted the BIOS chip as that is normally the result of a bad BIOS flash, overclocking that has gone wrong or I believe in some extreme cases of malware attack, personally I have not read documented cases of the latter though, is it possible that the BIOS battery was not replaced or reconnected (if the plug in type) to the MB properly and so is causing a BIOS error.

Have you tried connecting the notebook to an external screen to see if you get any display that way, you may need to toggle between screens using the Fn and one of the F1 to F12 keys for this, just in case the MB to display ribbon/cable has become detached during the reassembly process and gone unnoticed.

Caleb23

Caleb23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Hello Caleb23

Disassembling and reassembling the notebook is not likely to have corrupted the BIOS chip as that is normally the result of a bad BIOS flash, overclocking that has gone wrong or I believe in some extreme cases of malware attack, personally I have not read documented cases of the latter though, is it possible that the BIOS battery was not replaced or reconnected (if the plug in type) to the MB properly and so is causing a BIOS error.

Have you tried connecting the notebook to an external screen to see if you get any display that way, you may need to toggle between screens using the Fn and one of the F1 to F12 keys for this, just in case the MB to display ribbon/cable has become detached during the reassembly process and gone unnoticed.

Yes, I haven't ever tried to update the BIOS, so that couldn't be the issue. I have also never tried or done overclocking on any machine, so that couldn't be the issue. In this case it couldn't have been malware because I did a full scan the day before I shut it down with Malwarebytes Antimalware and it found nothing. If you are talking about the CMOS battery I have replaced it. I have already tried taking it out and back in hoping that a BIOS reset may help, but it didn't.

I just tried connecting it to an external monitor and still got the beeps with the flashing lights indicating the BIOS corruption error and no monitor signal on the external monitor. What should I try next?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,023 posts
Try reseating the Ram, if no change try removing the Ram completely to see if the behavior changes.

Caleb23

Caleb23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
I tried reseating the ram and removed the ram completely and no change. Any suggestions?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,023 posts
It may be necessary to dismantle the notebook again to make sure that both the keyboard and video ribbon/cable are both connected securely and that they have not been damaged, before you do this try removing the main power battery and using only the AC adapter, if no change remove the AC adapter and replace the battery and see how that goes, this is to check for a battery error.

If the above makes no difference then I would suggest dismantling the notebook again and starting afresh - double checking each step along the way when reassembling.