Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

testing a motherboard and building new computer

• Please log in to reply

DonB0130

DonB0130

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
i will be building my first computer, but first i have torn an old one apart. is there a way to test if the old
motherboard is working? i have attached the motherboard, power supply and fans on a piece of cardboard. when
i plug the power supply on the fans ( the cpu fan, a case fan and the power supply fan) start up and after about a second the cpu and case
fan die, but the power supply fan keeps going. there seems to be a buzzer on the mother board, but nothing happens. is the motherboard dead?
the mother board name is M2N68-LA.

i'd like to build a simple linux based computer with inexpensive parts that could surf the web and do basic stuff. i could use some help with determining what would be compatible parts...

Advertisements

Bricked

Bricked

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Is there an internal speaker on the motherboard? Would that be the buzzer that you're referring to? If so and you are not hearing any beep codes, then that would indicate a problem with the board.

In any case, if you're building a new machine then you'd be better off not re-using parts from an OEM machine. Pre-built computers are made with cheap parts in order to save money and you'll want at least decent quality components.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday DonB0130, Welcome back.

First, here is a link to your Mobo, > http://h10025.www1.h...=c01925534#N119
Was your old computer working correctly before tearing it down? If there was a problem, please describe the symptoms.

DonB0130

DonB0130

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
the computer went on the blink about a year ago....kept getting the blue screen of death....and i kept trying to get a restore point working.. i'd leave it on for what seemed like hours but it didn't revive.....i thought i heard the hard drive grinding....but when i just took the computer apart and hooked the hard drive up the the computer i am working on now through a usb connector it seemed fine...

appreciate the fast response....i'll take a look at the motherboard, and try to find some peripherals that you can give me a critique on

don

DonB0130

DonB0130

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
i had looked at that diagram....i thought the buzzer on it was something that should have beeped when i plugged in my cardboard recreation...but it didn't

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Turn off the power, take anti static measures by briefly touching a unpainted part of the PSU, like a screw head.Look in the manual and follow the instructions for clearing the CMOS.
inspect the wire from the CPU fan for any bared parts. Check the plug is firmly installed to the CPU fan header on the Mobo.
You should 2 cables from the PSU to the Mobo, 1 to the 24 pin socket and 1 to the 3 pin 12v socket.
Unplug that extra fan you have connect, unplug any other wires you have attached.
Install one stick of ram to slot closest to the CPU, ensure the locking tabs at each end are fully engaged.
Turn on the PSU.
With a small balded screwdriver short out the 2 power on pins on the front panel header.'Report please, if you hear buzzes, make a note of the sequence, like 1 long, 2 short.

Edit, to add.
HP Support troubleshooter. > http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07107&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN&adid=10428184&affpid=5628389&aoid=35252#N847
BIOS update, only for vista, > http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericSoftwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=pv-74348-1&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
If I may also chime in folks.

You have said that you connected the CPU fan which suggests that there is a processor fitted in the MB socket but can I ask is this assumption correct.

iammykyl has asked that you confirm that both the main power plug and the +12V 4 pin ATX supply are plugged in securely but can I ask if you are also using the original PSU that was being used when the computer failed.

An additional quick test for you, change the barebones set-up so that you only have the following connected/fitted in the MB, 24 pin ATX power connector, 4 pin ATX power connector, the CPU and PSU cooling fans and the integrated video chip to screen cable - no memory sticks, short out the two pins as detailed by iammykyl and see if you get any error beeps/buzzes, if you do it suggests that the Ram and DIMM slots are ok and that the problem is with the MBs video chip, if you get no error beeps/buzzes it points towards a PSU or MB problem, try a known good PSU in this instance and if the issue is still the same you have ruled out the PSU as the cause which leaves the MB as the culprit.

DonB0130

DonB0130

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
will try suggestions and let you know results...thankx

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
You are welcome :thumbsup:

DonB0130

DonB0130

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
i checked my connections....the 4 pin power connector wasn't attached...i followed the online directions to clear the CMOS...not sure what that was supposed to do or how to tell if it was accomplished...when i plugged the PSU in the PSU light went on but the fans didn't start as they had before...i then shorted the front panel pins and now it started up and fans kept going..no beeps though... i connected the monitor...got an hp start up screen...which disappeared and then a screen that said something like SK Boot error appeared...also when i detached the secondary case fan and started the system, after the hp screen appeared i got an error screen saying the case fan wasn't working and i should have it repaired...does all this mean the motherboard is ok? if so i'd like to get a system going with this motherboard before i try to build a new box....one step at a time for me....not sure why there are no beeps...i appreciate all the responses/suggestions/help i have been getting
donb

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

i followed the online directions to clear the CMOS...not sure what that was supposed to do or how to tell if it was accomplished..

I am sure you do not want get bogged down with too much tech, but, the CMOS holds some basic information that kick starts the computer when it passed information to the BIOS. It is powered by a small button battery, sometimes the information gets corrupted and clearing the CMOS resets it. In your case, it did work because the BIOS has started to configure other parts of your computer.

The PSU light should come on to say ther is power on, the fan starts when you start the computer.
Not hearing any beeps could indicate a problem but, possible the beeper has blown.
The case fan error was given because it was not detected one as you had removed it.

So that we know what and what has not been done, please answer every question and only perform steps as instructed, it may be a bit slow but we will get there.

Phillpower2 asked. "are also using the original PSU that was being used when the computer failed??"
and, can you try a known good PSU"??

So, at the moment you have the following attached,
2 cables to the MB from the PSU?
CPU fan plug to the CPU fan header on the MB?
One case fan?
Monitor to the MB video socket?

Have you any RAM installed?

DonB0130

DonB0130

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
i am using the original PSU that came from the computer. I don't have any other good quality PSU's to use. Would have to buy one, which would be ok.

yes...there are two cables to the MB from the PSU
Yes... CPU fan plug attached to the MB
yes...one case fan plug attached to the MB
yes...monitor attached to the MB video socket

no other cables attached...

two sticks of RAM are installed.....

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
OK. On some HP computers, (in the manual, but not actually specified for your model) the power LED indicator light can/may blink, giving error codes. If you can arrange the parts so the wires from the case will reach, connect up the front panel indicator cables and when testing, see if you get error blinks. You can also use the buttons to start/strop the computer.

Connect the keyboard, when testing see if the lights flash on the keyboard.

You need to enter the BIOS and set the defaults. Start the computer, repeatable press F10, fail, restart, try F1, fail, try F2, fail, try Delete.
When in the BIOS, Set the time and date, then go to the exit screen, look for the key, Load Default Settings, Click and then follow the prompts. The computer should restart,
Do the lights flash on the keyboard.??

Pleaser perform the following tests, make a notes for each result, beep code, if any, LED blinking, and screen display. Remember to turn off the power and take anti static measures when working on the rig.

1. Remove both stick of RAM, mark them #1 and #2 > Test. (start the computer) Results??
2. Install #1 RAM in slot one, Test. ??
3. Move the #1 RAM to slot two. Test. ??
4. Remove #1 RAM, put aside, install #2 RAM in slot one. Test. ??

DonB0130

DonB0130

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
repeatedly hit f10 and got into bios. changed the date and time. date was already right, time was off by 10 minutes.
when i left bios and computer restarted there was one short flash on the keyboard and then the light came on and stayed on.
the on/off led light always stayed on and didn't blink when the power was turned on.

test 1:1 short and 1 long beep. they kept repeating. no led on keyboard. nothing on monitor. had to unplug to turn off.
test2: no beeps. keyboard light came on and stayed on.got hp screen on monitor and then then screen that said SK BT failure (or something like that). on off power switch worked.
test3: same results as test 2
test4: same results as test 2

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Sounding good.

When exiting the BIOS, did you select Load Defaults?

RAM tests.
1. result shows that the BIOS detects, there is no RAM detects.
2. 3. 4 results show that the BIOS has detected RAM, (did not detect errors,) has initialized the keyboard, (now working)
The BOIS RAM check is only limited, shows that the ram is working and set to the default specifications. This does not mean the RAM is error free. When we have the system running, a stress test of the RAM will need to be done.

Next step testing HDD. remember safety. I think it best to take the HDD out of the case and lay it down near to the MB.
Connect the DATA cable to to SATA #0 on the MB. Connect the SATA power plug. Test. ?>?
Fail. Try each SATA socket on the MB. Fail.
Swap the DATA cable from the Optical Drive. Go through the above tests again.
If still fail you can try the HDD in a external encloser via USB but you would need to inter the BIOS and change the BOOT order to USB first, (if available.)

If the HDD is recognized by the BIOS the computer should boot, that is providing the HDD is not mechanically damaged or there is no software corruption..

Please report findings.

An aside.
What happened to your build, > http://www.geekstogo...21#entry2267921