Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

testing a motherboard and building new computer

• Please log in to reply

DonB0130

DonB0130

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
more progress update....
attached the cpu to psu....using only 4 of the pins....it fit...
attached one of the fans to the mobo....
attached two of the fans to the psu using a male to female connector...one connector just left hanging..

mobo has several usb connectors.... case seems to have only one....just plug it into mobo on any usb connection?
then there are all these small connectors from the top case panel...just plug them into the mobo front panel pins?...
old case just had one connector that fit....
then the sata connections...

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,756 posts
Gday.

i might be able to get the i/o shield in better if i bend/cut off the little grab tabs and just let the mobo pressure it from the inside..
A. The I/O shield is fitted from the inside of the case aand the little tabs should clip into place.

so when i put the motherboard in there were two screws that i couldn't get in....off by just a little though..
A. When putting the MB back, put screws half way in so the board is slightly movable, start at top right and bottom right, then middle top and middle bottom, then the rest, when all screws are in, go around and screw down.

i hooked up one of the case fans to the motherboard....the other two go to the PSU?
A. The rear fan is connected to the System Fan 1 header on the MB, please leave the other fans till later.

You need to have the MB properly seated before you make all the other connection.
IF it proves to difficult to get the I/O shield in, you could try bending or cutting of some of the clips, but try to leave two on to help keep it in place.

I you had installed the PSU with fan facing down, it would have needed a thin board under to stop the fan sucking up fluff from a carpet.

DonB0130

DonB0130

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
hi iamykyl
i am no longer getting automatic emails when you make a response?

will work on the i/o shield and get the motherboard correctly set....

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,756 posts
Hi
[quote]i am no longer getting automatic emails when you make a response?[/quote]
Look in your G2G account setting,
> My Settings, > Notification Settings...
Tick, Show popup when I receive a new inline notification.
Tick Watch every topic I reply to.
At the bottom of window, Click on Save Changes.

DonB0130

DonB0130

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
i'm going to redo the mobo....but fyi based on what i had done...before redoing the mobo....what happened was that the
fans went on....but then the psu fan stopped...but the case and the cpu fan continued....

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,756 posts

..but then the psu fan stopped...but the case and the cpu fan continued.

bWhen the systemis drawing less the 50% of the PSU capaicy, the fan will slow down and stop, so this is normal.

From Post #44. mobo connector is 4 pin.....psu cpu connector is 8 pin.

The 9 pin plug will slide apart to give 2 x 4 pin plugs, use just one, it will only go on one way, watch the Video, > http://www.corsair.c.../power-supplies
(WATCH: Where's the 4-pin EPS/ATX 12v connector that I need for my motherboard? )

Having some problemS finding actual instalation manual for your PSU. After fixing the two main cable to the MB. what other cables are coming from the PSU.

>This is the sata power connector Posted Image

Note the little cut out, bottom right corner. It only goes in one-way correctly, you should not have to force it in.

DonB0130

DonB0130

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
i couldn't find a manual for the psu either....will check in later

DonB0130

DonB0130

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
reset the i/o shield...that was an effort!...a little clipping and compressing using pliers...got it in....
reset the motherboard...it fit perfectly now...got all the screws in....
reconnected wires...including two of the case fans....not the front fan...
plugged in power...when i hit the on/off switch fans turned on....then the psu fan stopped....others continued....
then i added the monitor...and turned on....
started up and then got error message on monitor that a system fan was not working...the cpu and two case fans were going...the psu fan and the unconnected fan were not

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,756 posts
Good job, anothe custom part from HP just to make life difficult.

started up and then got error message on monitor that a system fan was not working...the cpu and two case fans were going...the psu fan and the unconnected fan were not

The PSU fan is controlled by it's own heat sensor, so will stay off until a certain temp is reached.
With the PSU switched off. Disconnect the rear fan plug from the Mobo, Please do not reconnect until told to do so. (Important, Please read through your own Post #10, You had an error message when the rear fan was Connected. You have tried the new rear fan and received another error message this may indicate a problem with that header on the Mobo.

Unplug the CPU fan plug from the CPU fan header, inspect the 3 pins to insure non are bent. Inspect the wiring to the fan plug, look for any bared parts or loose wires, if OK,
replug to the CPU fan socket insuring it is seated correctly.
Turn on the PSU, start the computer. What is the result?

Have you connected the Sata power and Sate Data cables to the HDD and Optical drive?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,756 posts
For best performance the SATA Data cable should be in port #0... The Optical SATA Date should be in port #2.
NB. Instruction for the USB 3. 0 HEADER IS INCORRECT for YOUR board.

Advertisements

DonB0130

DonB0130

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
turned off psu...unconnected the case fan.....checked the cpu fan...pins and wiring look ok....reconnected the cpu fan...
left rear fan unconnected....turned on computer...got same message as before....problem with system fan hit f2 to keep going...

the optical drive and hard drive are connected.....the usb3 connection is unconnected...top fan is connected...front panel wiring is connected...i tried to connect everything that looked like it had a connection on the mobo...front fan not connected....

i think that when i had the message 'problem with system fan' when i was testing the old system outside the case, was when the rear fan was disconnected....

just saw your suggested outline for sata connection...i don't think i attached them that way...i'll take a look and let you know how i attached them

DonB0130

DonB0130

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
i had connected ( based on the diagram you used)
HDD in 2
optical in 1
top case hdd connection in 0

usb connector to usb1

used the hd audio connector rather than the ac 97 connector (don't know the difference)

left off the usb3 ( doesn't look like i can connect this to the mobo i have)

should i reconnect based on your suggestions.....or hold off until the fan problem is resolved?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
Just a thought folks, check the fan settings in the BIOS as the BIOS may be expecting a chassis fan to be connected to the header on the MB as opposed to the PSU.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,756 posts
Thanks Phillpower2, will check for fan configuration, Only managed to find an actual user manual ten seconds ago.

DonB0130

Please do not turn on the computer at the moment.
Clarification needed.

Do you have just one HDD and one Optical drive installed?
The HDD should be in #0 (bottom left) Correct?
The Optical drive, (DVD) should be in #2 (top right) correct?

top case hdd connection in 0

please explain.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
You are welcome iammykyl :thumbsup: