Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

testing a motherboard and building new computer

• Please log in to reply

DonB0130

DonB0130

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
there is one hdd and one optical installed....right now they are as follows
hdd top right (front)
optical lower right (front)
i will now switch them to be as you suggest....

explanation for third connection:
the case comes with a space on the top to slip in an external hard drive. there is a sata cable that goes from this space and needs to be connected to the mobo. i plugged it in to one of the mobo connectors.
i will remove this connection.

i will not turn on the computer till i hear from you....

by the way, you guys have been great!!!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,035 posts
Just by coincidence another member I am assisting has provided a screenshot which shows the fan settings in the BIOS;

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
Thanks for the info Phillpower2. The BIOS screen layout on this MB is a bit different + 2 ver, found the temp/fan controls under Power.
DonB0130
Thanks for the info.
With the PSU switched off, Connect the SATA DATA cable from the top HDD bay to #1 SATA header, (bottom right)
Connect the rear fan plug to the system fan 1 header on the MB.
Turn on the PSU.
Start the computer, Did you still get the fan error message? If yes, ignore and continue, what message is last displayed on the screen?
Please continue with the next step.

Restart the computer and enter the BIOS.
Right arrow key along the top menu until Power is highlighted, > Press Enter.
(in the next step you may have either of these displays, )
Arrow down until Hardware Monitor is highlighted, > press Enter.

Which screen do you have? Make a note of any temp or fan number setting.

> go to the Exit Menu, > select Load defaults, insure you Save and Exit.

Restart the computer. Do you get any beeps or error messages?

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%20Documents/Sure%20Shot/FireShot%20Screen%20Capture%20%23054%20-%20
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%20Documents/Sure%20Shot/FireShot%20Screen%20Capture%20%23054%20-%20

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
Little problem with one attachment, this is the second scrren you may see. The top part is the same but has more options near the bottom.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,035 posts
You are welcome iammykyl :thumbsup:

DonB0130

DonB0130

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
i saw one screen shot. there were two screenshots indicated on the 8:04 posting. maybe i saw both...an abbreviated shot and a fuller shot?....

reconnected the rear fan and the top sata cable. started the computer. got the hp start screen then the
'system has failed...service pc to prevent damage...press f2 to continue.'
when i pressed f2 i entered the windows start up screen...and that seemed fine...

i then restarted and entered bios
(an aside, the hdd and optical drive were recognized by bios)
went to the power screen....the screen only offered three choices....either enable or disable
'After AC power failure'
'Virtualization Technology'
'MX(no execute)'

i scanned the bios menu...i didn't see any screen with hardware monitor....there was a menu item i think on the exit screen which would enable diagnostics on start up...

A QUESTION/confirmation about sata cables:the red sata cable from the hp case was too short to connect the hdd in the new case, i used a sata cable from another old dell pc case that was the right length. it was orange...since the bios detected the hdd i assumed it was ok...

DonB0130

DonB0130

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
fyi...
was curious, so replaced rear case fan with the original hp case fan and computer booted up without
error message

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
BOIS screen.
My 8.04 went amiss, so don't worry about it. The lack BIOS of options on your PC, I will put down to Dell customizing it. Fan/temp setting are aften found under Computer Health.

A QUESTION/confirmation about sata cables:

Will work just as well as the latest in the stores, > http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/your_sata_cable_slowing_down_your_data_transfers_max_pc_investigates

fyi...was curious, so replaced rear case fan with the original hp case fan and computer booted up without<br style="color: rgb(13, 41, 117); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(242, 242, 242);">
error message

This is only guesswork. Dell have used their specified fan with different pin out wiring or pin out on the MB socket. Can't see that it is the new fan as it runs.
AS the computer boots up to the Windows screen, (if you mean the Desktop?) I would leave that part of the hardware as is.

Have you looked at Connecting the front fan yet?
Test your sound.
AS you have done a restore to the OS, it will need to be updated via windows Update. Until this is done your system may not be secure for going to other sites.
You will then need some free Virus protection like Avast!, AVG.

DonB0130

DonB0130

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
the 'old' fan that worked was 'loose' when i tested it, not set in the new case. to use that fan i will have to take out the new case fan and see if the 'old' fan sets in....maybe i should try the top case fan before i do this, maybe that will work? the three pins on the connection did look ok to me...

DonB0130

DonB0130

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
top fan didn't make any difference....got front fan connected and working...

Advertisements

DonB0130

DonB0130

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
SUCCESS!!(sort of)...got to the Hardware Monitor on the bios and disabled the system fan check...at least i got rid of the error message on start up....

hit crtl+f10 for bios then go to the advanced tab....it is the bottom menu item on that tab...if you just hit f10 to enter bios and go to the advanced menu it is not there...

DonB0130

DonB0130

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
i have the pc up, audio works...on the internet...so far i think everything works...
the only thing is not sure i like having turned off the system fan check...although i know fan is working...
added avast free virus checking...running vista 64 service pack 1..not sure i want to go to service pack 2

iammykly...is it time to start the next phase?...updating components

donb

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
Well done , Great result, Posted ImageDonB0130

iammykly...is it time to start the next phase?...updating components

I think we should do a little work with the OS first. I have never used Vista, so I will need you to give me information. Please do not add other programs for the Moment.
You should install all updates and service packs, but before doing so, see if we can make a drive image in case things go wrong and then you do not have to start from the beginning again.

Please read this, > http://www.ehow.com/...age-vista_.html
Do you have the Image X on your computer?
What Browser are you using?
In you Program files, look for any Asus utilities, like PC probe, Fan Xpert, Anything?

DonB0130

DonB0130

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
i have already added microsoft office 2007 basic and adobe photoshop elements 7...SHOULD THESE BE REMOVED?
i also have the hp recovery disks....
a few things popped into the computer when i downloaded avast...like weather bug
ie is on the computer and chrome was downloaded with avast...i like chrome

i don't see any asus utilities....but there are a bunch of HP utilities (names like Advisor, Health Check, PC Doctor etc) there are hp diagnostic tools that could be run...

the hard disk has two portions...drive D has the factory image (this was put there when i ran the recovery disks)

not sure if imageX is there or how to look for it....

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts

SHOULD THESE BE REMOVED?

No, Only reason for installing heaps of programs was to try and keep an image of the drive as uncluttered and basic as possible.

a few things popped into the computer when i downloaded avast...like weather bug

See if you can remove the rubbish or disable it, Look in IE, make sure other search engines or tool bars have not been added, also in Chrome inspect Tools, Extensions see if anything been added you do not want. I use Chrome and have it seat as the Default Browser. Before downloading inspect carefully for the rubbish. Except for security programs, I disable Auto Updates.

drive D has the factory image

Don't worry about Imagex, the D drive image will do.
Create a manual restore Point then update to service Pack 2.
Have a look through the HP utilities to see if any give you control of the fans.

How is the system going, does it feel any better?