Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

testing a motherboard and building new computer

• Please log in to reply

DonB0130

DonB0130

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
installed service pack 2....everything working...
i don't see any hp utilities that show fans....
pc working better...no blue screen of death.....

i always thought that the machine was 'killed' by adobe premiere elements...it always seemed
so hoggish..

still have office, and photoshop elements on the machine...not much else....using chrome browser....

what should be the next step?

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,758 posts
Gday.
Consider upgrade these parts first.

With your existing MB you only have one SATA header unused, so you can buy and install one internal HDD to use for DATA storage (1st partition) and a scratch disk for Adobe Elements (2nd Partition) This will vastly improve performance as you are limited at the moment by the RAM. You also have that empty top HDD caddy If you have not got a spare HDD, you can buy a second one to use, 1st partition for source files, 2nd partition for Export.
> http://helpx.adobe.c...s-plug-ins.html

Next would be the most expensive single part, the GPU. This card will give top performance for your applications and games.

> http://pcpartpicker.com/p/MtT2

DonB0130

DonB0130

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
hi iammykyl

i am going to download the adobe CS6 cloud programs i use a lot (photoshop, lightoom, indesign, acrobat,some premiere) and see how they do on the pc .... adobe says that they don't support vista anymore for cs6, but that you can still download the programs to a vista machine...whatever that means...

the hp that we just tore apart came with a free upgrade to windows 7 (that i never got)...i'll see if that is still available....

i have an 80gb and 160gb harddrive that i am not using....maybe for misc backups, music or something...any suggestions?

i'll be going ahead with your hard drive and gpu suggestions...will let you know when installed (or problems with installing)...and partitioned...

DonB0130

DonB0130

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
is there a way to connect the front (top) panel usb3 hubs to the mother board? the case and mobo connectors are different....

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,758 posts

am going to download the adobe CS6 cloud programs i use a lot (photoshop, lightoom, indesign, acrobat,some premiere) and see how they do on the pc .... adobe says that they don't support vista anymore for cs6, but that you can still download the programs to a vista machine...whatever that means...

Is it a trial ver or paid? Are you running Vista 64 bit?
> http://www.adobe.com/downloads/ From this blog, means to me, Programs will run on Vista but are not supported if you have problems.
> http://blogs.adobe.c...and-beyond.html

the hp that we just tore apart came with a free upgrade to windows 7 (that i never got)...i'll see if that is still available

Unless you feel it it nec for your applications, I would stay with your now stable system. W7 requires more system resources, so you may take a performance hit.

is there a way to connect the front (top) panel usb3 hubs to the mother board? the case and mobo connectors are different

Sorry NO. the board does not support USB 3.0. What is marked as F-USB 3 is just the #3 USB 2.0 header.
http://h10025.www1.h...=c01925534#N411

As your system stand now, the 2 spare drives you have, can only be used for backup, providing you have an external encloser.

DonB0130

DonB0130

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
running vista 64.....photoshop etc are paid versions...they are running on my other pc now as well...

btw...how do you do those quote boxes....

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,758 posts
When you do receive you new HDDs, please let us know before installing them.
Are your two spare drives SATA.
Do you have anything on them you want to save?

btw...how do you do those quote boxes....

On the middle toolbar, hover the mouse over the speak balloon, (insert quotation) > left click,a double quote box will appear.> go to the text you want to quote, > highlight > Copy. > left click between the quote brackets, ]X[ the blinking curser will appear. > right click, > Paste.> left click at the end of the quote, quote]X > Press Enter.

DonB0130

DonB0130

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
will let you know when the hdd's and gpu arrive..have not yet ordered

Are your two spare drives SATA.
Do you have anything on them you want to save?

holding these two spare drives for backup/storage when needed...have a thermaltake BlacX usb box to connect to computer for input/output...currently using another 500gb sata drive for storage/backup....these two have nothing on them worth saving...i do a lot of real estate photography and save/store client images (raw/jpeg/tiff/psd)plus other misc files...graduated from floppies to cd's to dvd's to hard disks for storage...

one of the spare drives is SATA Western Digital 80gb 7200 rpm
other is SATA Samsung 160gb 7200 rpm

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,758 posts
/Hi.
Well, you beat to it, was going to suggest the HDDs for storage/clients files.

DonB0130

DonB0130

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
hdd's and gpu has been ordered...will let you know when they arrive...

ISSUE with vista:testing out adobe create cloud software in vista...it seems at least Acrobat is not compatible, is not even offered as a download option...at some point will need to move to windows 7 or 8...

Advertisements

DonB0130

DonB0130

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
hard drives have arrived.....gpu still in transit

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,758 posts
Posted Image

DonB0130

DonB0130

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
ok...now have both hard drives and the graphics card...
what should be the next step?
have not done anything yet with these.....

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,758 posts
Hi.
Please read through these articles. and let me know your questions.
> http://pcsupport.abo...drive-vista.htm
> http://windows7theme...-windows-7.html
We will install one hard drive first and then create two partitions, E for DATA/storage and F for Source files. Then install the Video card. then install the second HDD to the top caddy and create 2 partitions, G for scratch and H for Export.

Remember to have the power switched off and take anti static measures.
Install one HDD in the case, keep the drive bay opposite the end of the PCI-E slot empty this will give some clearance for the video card. only use the short screws that came with the drive.
Connect the power cable, connect the DATA cable, use the #1 SATA socket on the MB. turn on power and boot.

DonB0130

DonB0130

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
added the first hdd and it seemed to go ok...since the optic drive was E...i called these f and G. they seemed ok.
then i tried to put the gpu in. it was pretty tight...i connected the two remaining corsair cables to it....
both were 6+2 pins...i used all 8 on one connect and 6 on the other.

but then i powerd up and go error message...SK boot failure...enter system disk...
i took out the gpu, tightened the connections and powered up again and got the same error message...