Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

testing a motherboard and building new computer

• Please log in to reply

DonB0130

DonB0130

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
ran diagnostics by hitting f9 on start...showed error message BIOHD2 and said no drives detected...(i had disconnected the second hd that i had just partitioned)...wondered if i damaged something when i was shoving the gpu in.....i'll try disconnectin and reconnecting the hard drive and reboot...

Advertisements

DonB0130

DonB0130

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
solved the problem....i had disconnected and reconnected the power cable to the main hard drive...and i guess i didn't connect it all the way....now i'll try adding everything back one at a time....

DonB0130

DonB0130

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
i am partitioning the second hdd...seems to be going ok....but i don't think the gpu is being recognized...fans aren't going...
don't see it on the computer....seems like the built-in graphics is being recognized...maybe i don't have it pushed in all the way....

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,754 posts
Gday.
Was just about to get you to check the cables, Well spotted.
GPU, yes, possible no seated correctly. Reseat and make sure the locking tab is engaged. (towards the right hand side of the slot/card)

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,754 posts
Hi. With the GPU correctly seated and the PCI-E cables connect, the fans should spin up, if not, Do you have another Card you can try to check that there is not a faulty slot? If a swapped in one works, (slot OK) The new card should be tested on a different computer to confirm if good or a DOA.
How the BIOS sees the GPU, depends on who's and what ver.
Some you have to enter and set which card to use. some auto detect which card you have the monitor connected on, then disables the other, some of the latest software allows the GPUs to be used together, (dependent on hardware)

DonB0130

DonB0130

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
not sure if it is set in....the right side of the gpu sits on top of the sata connectors and i think it is pushing into
the top of the cable connector...that is the connector that goes to the optics drive...if i switch the ends of that cable (one of the connectors is L shaped) i might be able to get some more room...now when i push down on the gpu the whole motherboard moves....

the computer i am using now does have a small gpu...i could switch that to test the slot if i can't get the connection going...
not sure i can go the other way...i think the power is only 300w or so in my current computer and not sure of the number of connections...if i have the connection but low power can i do a test on the new GPU?

DonB0130

DonB0130

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
took out two of the sata connectors from the sata slots....resat the GPU...and it now worked...i need to see if i can reconnect the two sata slots and then reseat the GPU...will see if two l shaped data connectors (so the wire is going off at an angle) will make this work...will let you know result

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,754 posts
Gday DonB0130.
Sorry to see you had problems with the SATA connections, a relieve the GPU works. You should not have this problem on more recent MB.

Some info that may be useful.
> http://www.video2bra...rmance-workshop
> http://blogs.adobe.c...erformance.html
> http://www.video2bra...zing-hard-disks

DonB0130

DonB0130

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
hi iammykyl

thanks for the info....will go thru it tomorrow...i tried a few different ways to seat the new gpu with both/one the two problem sata slots filled....but i had to leave the two of the sata slots empty in order to get the gpu to sit right....

maybe it is time now to think about a new cpu/motherboard?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,754 posts
Gday.

As it looks as though the present set up is not going to be of much use to you, new parts to go into that case would be best but as I mentioned earlier, you will need to have all the parts at hand. You could keep your eyes open for specials and buy as you have the $$$.

First let me know if you are within a reasonable distance of one of these stores for pick up on CPU deals/bundles.

> http://www.microcent...es/default.aspx

Advertisements

DonB0130

DonB0130

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
i live in a suburb of chicago...the microcenter in chicago works.....

DonB0130

DonB0130

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
hi iamykyl
btw...the 'new' computer isn't as useful as the one i am using yet (but it is at a point i can try it out)....but the process is exactly what i wanted...not just to build the machine, but learning what can happen/what to do as the machine gets built...i don't think i have ever done anything that doesn't need some kind of rework after the first time...lot's of times it's the little things...the monitor i am using with the 'new' machine has a serial connector...( so does my other machine, but i have a dvi adapter)...so now i need a dvi/serial adapter (if i have my language right)

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,754 posts
Gday.
I would confirm and pick up the CPU as prices do change, and, funds permitting, you can pick up the below at Macro, cost the same as on CPP.
MB. > http://www.microcent...tel_Motherboard $134
OS. > http://www.microcent...64-bit_OEM_(PC) $139 Lower versions limit RAM to 16GB and under.

> http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PHW0

DonB0130

DonB0130

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
the micro center price is significantly lower for the cpu....$229 to$329????

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,754 posts
Yes, that's why you will see me asking for Zip codes, they have some great deal. You may also have seen they do bundles with a MB and CPU. Just shows what sort of profit margin other stores have.

Re. Adaptor.
So I get it right, please give the brand and model of the Monitor you are using with the new machine.