Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

testing a motherboard and building new computer

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
Hi.
Thanks for the update, just needed to make sure you had not missed the linked info.

not sure about where the thermal paste goes..

You are using the stock heat-sink /fan supplied with the CPU, so no need to worry about the thermal paste as it is already pre applied on the bottom of the heat-sink plate. it can be 3 or 4 odd shaped strips or a solid pad. If you find it is not there, please post and let us know.

Edited post.

Advertisements

DonB0130

DonB0130

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
a question:
i had partitioned the 1 tb hdd....should i redo the partitions before i enter into the new build? or does it make no difference....?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
I would delete all partitions on the 1TB drive so you end up with all unallocated space then create a new Primary partition of about 350GB and leave the rest of the drive as unallocated space. This is sometimes refered to as "choking, or short stroking " a drive. It restricts the the system to the fastest part of the drive giving you better performance. Should you get close to using 70% of space on the partition, you can then extend it. I would not however go larger than 500GB.

Below is a how to do a clean install of Window 7. You will know most of the steps but you should consider following the recommendation given in Part 2, Step 14,
"Windows Update"
> http://pcsupport.abo...tall-part-1.htm

This is just a suggestion and up to you, consider doing the following.

When you have installed the OS, updated. Do a custom install from the MB disk, do not install the optional software. then update drivers.
When the desk top is up and running, keep using the windows security options, install Virus protection, install you usual Browser and set to default.
Do not install anything else.
Using the windows built in tools, create a drive image and restore disk.
Test the system for stability.
Connect the remaining HDDs, and install other software.

DonB0130

DonB0130

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
installed one hdd, gpu and windows7pro...but can't get to internet...do i need to do anything special?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
Have you done the following.

Did you have the computer connected to the internet when installing the OS and checked the Ethernet cable was securely connected at both ends.
During installation, did you select Home Network? see screenshot.
Inserted the MB driver disk, > restart. I do a custom or advanced install of drivers and untick any free software not wanted.

DonB0130

DonB0130

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
i got to the internet...i thought that the mobo would have wireless internet connection....but i guess not....got to the internet wirelessly using the netgear usb connection...i could get to the internet with a wired connection if necessary....assuming what i have done is all ok i will get rid of some of the excess software that got loaded and then create a back up disk....i downloaded avast for virus protection..

DonB0130

DonB0130

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
i have my backup disk...will be adding the addtional hdd's and downloading software (primarily adobe cloud CS6 (photoshop, dreamweaver, indesign, lightroom, etc) and microsoft office stuff)transferring files from current main computer....and then using.

two questions:
are there any stress tests to see if everything is working? otherwise, if i use for about two weeks and everything is ok, i'd think success...
is there any benefit in having a wireless adapter on the mobo? can it be done?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
Sound good.
I check any program downloaded or installed for the crap-ware then hunt through to disable Auto update, except security. Only absolutely essential programs are allowed to start with windows.
I use Revo Uninstaller and I only go down as far as the 3rd radio button, > http://revo-uninstal...s-malware-tests
For Defrag i use Auslogics > http://auslogics-dis...ag.en.lo4d.com/

See if you can find the windows built in disk burning tool.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
That was going to be the next step. Normally suggest just a couple for a gamer but think you need more. Rather than give you heaps of suggestion, follow the steps in this article, where possible, download from the site already given. Quite a bit of work involved. > http://www.zdnet.com...ny-faults/16438

is there any benefit in having a wireless adapter on the mobo? can it be done?

You can use a PCI wireless card, maybe have more features, more robust than a dongle, but if dose the job. I only use mine around the house and for Tunnel Bear. Much prefer Ethernet, more stable, less lag.

Hooroo,
Gone to bed.

DonB0130

DonB0130

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
missed your last responses because of my switchover.......using the new computer currently... need to get cookies etc working the way they used to....
question on usb ports....the top two usb3 ports don't seem to work on the mobo...when i go to the installation guide...it says that there are 2 rear usb3 ports by intel z77 and 2 rearusb3 ports by ASMedia....does that mean that only two ports work? or do i have a problem?...why is this so complicated?
i need to keep wireless...the wire would be too long and too obtrusive....the dongle does well enough, though....
i am trying very hard to keep the automatic updates from happening....but somehow they keep happening...
i'll read thru the sites you suggested.....thanx for your support....

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
Hi.

.the top two usb3 ports don't seem to work on the mobo.

If referring to the case front USB 3.0? ensure that the 19 pin plug from the front case cabling (CM 690 page #5) is securely seated in the 19 pin header on the MB, MB Manual page #37)

.it says that there are 2 rear usb3 ports by intel z77 and 2 rearusb3 ports by ASMedia....does that mean that only two ports work?

All 4 ports should work, see next.

why is this so complicated?

The Intel chipset on the Z77 only supports 4 USB 3.0, 2 to the front via a header and 2 integrated to the back. Any more is via a 3td party integrated chip, ASMedia, 2 to the back.
Same with the SATA sockets, 6 by Intel, 2 by ASMedia.

What programs are still updating?

DonB0130

DonB0130

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
it is the two rear usb3.0 ports...on the top...also, if i go to the device manager it shows 'other devices' with a question mark, then 6 devices with an exclamation point....'ethernet controller, SM bus controller, usb controller, usb controller, unknown device, and video controller'....

DonB0130

DonB0130

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
on the updates....it looked like they were windows updates...but i thought i stopped them....maybe i didn't restart the computer or something

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
Windows Update setting, > http://www.sevenforu...ngs-change.html

it is the two rear usb3.0 ports...on the top.

Sounds like drivers are missing.

Please post a screenshot showing items with ?? or !!.
Did you run the MB driver disk?
Edit.

Run the MB driver disk again, > custom or Advanced
The only items I do not install are the Add on software like Norton and CyberLink MediaEspresso 6.5 Trial, ASRock MAGIX Multimedia Suite

DonB0130

DonB0130

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
that did it... ports working!! and got rid of the device manager issues...i thought i was installing the drivers before....i had put the driver disk in and hit auto setup...a few times after i saw the drivers were missing....then tried to get the drivers using windows....even pointed windows to the drivers on the disk....
i'll be using the new setup computer for two weeks to see if any issues shake out.....hopefully you don't hear from me for two weeks....i'll check in with you then....and then we will be finished unless you have any more suggestions!! thanks for all you help.....donb