Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MyBook HD Not Connecting (Code 22)

• Please log in to reply

PresMatt

PresMatt

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
I have a MyBook HD that isn't working correctly. I have a computer I recently built that I hooked it up to in order to back up the data from the HD to the raid drive on my new computer. The drive was transferring EXTREMELY slowly 500-800kbps max. It was actually doing that prior to hooking it up to this windows 7 machine. It did it on another window 7, a windows vista, and windows xp machine. It did work the first time I hooked it up, however it encountered an error with a file it was transferring, hung up, and then wouldn't connect again. I've since hooked it up to my Vista laptop and it will connect and I am able to access all the files, however it is still taking forever to transfer one file... I have roughly a 1.5TB that I need to get transferred off the drive. I did some snooping through the settings and found that the device is disabled and there is a code 22 error. I did some research and found a lot of possible problems, but didn't want to randomly start implementing them without some more expert advice. I would like to avoid using a system restore as I've added a great deal of data to my raid array and would hate to lose it. I've tried rebooting, enabling the drive, but without any success. Below are screenshots of the steps I've taken and some of the errors I encountered.

The drive doesn't show up in my computer or device manager...
2 not showing up in drive management.JPG

This shows that the drive does show up in Devices and Printers... As you'll notice, there is an error on the internal raid drive...
1 drive shows up and drive error.JPG

Here are the errors that show up on that drive... I tried using windows update to fix the errors but it didn't work, as the next screenshot will show. I would also like to fix the other driver errors that show up here if you guys could help :help:
3 drive management devices now found.JPG

As you can see it didn't update the drivers...
4 unable to update usb driver.JPG

Here is the info on the drive from th devices and printers...
5 mybook info.JPG

The drive is disabled :angry:
6 drive is disabled.JPG

So I'm going to try to enable it... I have to go to the properties section since the enable area is greyed out.
7 trying to enable drive.JPG

so I click enable here...
8 clicking enable.JPG

So close, just have to click next...
9 click next to enable.JPG

It won't enable though :alarm:
10 not able to enable.JPG

So that's the problem in a nutshell. Thanks for your time and help fixing this issue. If you need any additional screenshots or information, please ask and I'll reply as soon as I can. Thanks again for any help you can provide!

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
The Universal Serial Bus (USB Controler showing in your other Devices needs the be updated (driver)first and unless I am wrong your WD My Book is connected to a USB port, try to update those drivers by installing the CHIPSET DRIVERS of your Motherboard or of your System (HP, Dell Acer ect) model and it should help Windows 7 to recognize and install your MY Book HD

As a side note CHIPSET DRIVERS should be the first drivers you update after installing windows.

PresMatt

PresMatt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
i

Edited by PresMatt, 04 March 2013 - 11:03 PM.

PresMatt

PresMatt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I did that first thing after I got the computer up and running... this isn't a manufacturer built PC but a homebuilt PC. Every other USB device I plug in works fine and hasn't had any issues at all.

I updated the bios for my motherboard as well as the USB chipset drivers along with all the other drivers I could find, however I'm willing to give it another go... perhaps I missed one or something.... My motherboard is an ASRock Z77 Extreme 4.... I'll try updating the drivers again but I would like to confirm that I need to update BOTH of the USB drivers on the asrock website, located here: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 Drivers

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Did you update the INF driver ver:9.3.0.1019 (this should also update your SM Bus driver)

and the Intel USB 3.0 driver ver:1.0.4.220

and ASMedia USB 3.0 driver ver:1.10.1.0

and if you want to update your Ethernet driver use this Broadcom Lan driver ver:14.8.4.1

PresMatt

PresMatt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Alright, I tried updating all the drivers, especially the USB drivers. I'm not longer getting the errors for the LAN or USB however the unknown error is still there. I tried attaching the external drive after a reboot and it shows up in devices and printers, however it still isn't showing up in mycomputer or device manager. It is blinking in and out of existence in device manager like it is connecting and then disconnecting. If I'm navigating through the information after right clicking properties it will sometimes disconnect and display a code 45 error saying the device is not attached. I am still able to connect the drive to my vista laptop without any other issues besides the extremely slow transfer speeds. My next idea is to update the drivers on the hard drive using the vista laptop, however I want to ensure I'm going to be installing the correct thing... I have a Mybook Essential model #wdbacw0030hbk-00. Here is the link to the WD website, would you mind confirming that the WD Universal Firmware Updater for Windows is the correct application? http://support.wdc.c...pid=125&lang=en

Also, I'm concerned that since I am having this issue with extremely slow file transfer speeds that it may also have adverse effects if I try to update the HD's firmware. I wouldn't say the data is irreplaceable, but it's one level above irreplaceable.... Any additional guidance or advice would be appreciated Alzeimer! Let me know if you need any additional information or screen shots.

Edited by PresMatt, 05 March 2013 - 09:22 PM.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
I tried to open your link but kept on getting errors so i cannot confirm anything.

I went to the My book page and this is the link i found for your firmware update.

http://www.wdc.com/w...ssential&os=WIN

They recommend that you save all your data before applying the firmware update, so if I was you i would save my data on your Vista machine (even if it works only at low speed) and then we can try to fix your WD My Book.

If your My book does not work well on any computer you tried it on, did you consider that the hard Drive in your My book might defective or that your My book enclosure is defective.

You can open your enclosure and connect your HDD inside your My book directly to your PC sata port to see if Windows detects it and if it transfers at a normal rate.

If it works well when plug directly then it's your enclosure the problem if it still works at a slow rate when plug directly then it is your HDD

PresMatt

PresMatt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Yea, I had considered that one or the other may be bad... which is why I'm reluctant to open the case and test the HD outside the enclosure. It's still under warranty, so if I can't fix it through software fixes, hopefully I can send it back and get a new one. Quite frankly I'm not a WD fan any longer after all of the issues I've experienced with it. I've always been a Seagate fan but decided to go with the MyBook since it seemed to be well liked. However, having done some fairly extensive research into the problems I'm seeing, it isn't an uncommon occurrence for my exact problems to happen.

If you think of anything else software related that you think I might should try, please let me know. I'm going to attempt to transfer everything over to another computer... The only drawback is it takes about a day to transfer 60GB and I've got close to 2TB to transfer... It's not ideal to spend the next 33 straight days transferring :rolleyes:

Thanks for your help and, again, if you come up with any other ideas I'd be happy to hear them!

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Yes if it is still under warranty do not open the enclosure.

One thing you can check is to download WD diagnostic tools to verify your HDD

One other thing that just came to my attention and it may not be your case but just in case, your drive which is a WD and I am guessing a 2tb capacity, my question is on what Platform did you use to format the drive (windows 7, Vista or XP)

The new WD HDD have a different Bytes per sector format (4096 kb/s) than the old drives (512 kb/s) If you used Windows 7 or Vista to format it then it should have by default formatted it in the right kb/s but if you formatted it under XP then the default for XP is (512 kb/s) causing the HD not to be alingned properly and making it work very slow.

If you used XP to format it you can realigned it using WD Align - powered by Acronis (it is free) that you can find on WD website.

PresMatt

PresMatt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Ahhhh, that may be the issue then. I believe it was formatted under XP. I'll try realign when I get home from work.

That, hopefully, will help the speed problem... and hopefully the connection problem. I'll post what I find. Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it!

PresMatt

PresMatt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I tried to download the WD Align application, however once i registered my products serial # and attempted to download it, I was put into a loop and it wouldn't allow me to download it.

I opened a case with WD support, but everything I've heard about them is that they'll say "we'll RMA your product," which is fine... but it doesn't fix the data issues.

I thought about running the WD diagnostic tool but couldn't find it on their website... I ran across a lot of posts that had similar speed problems as I do and they stated that when they ran the WD diagnostic tool it took weeks due to the slow read/write speeds.

PresMatt

PresMatt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I found the diagnostic tool. SMART says everything is ok. I ran the quick scan and received the following error:

Quick Test on drive 3 did not complete!
Status code = 07 (Failed read test element), Failure Checkpoint = 97
(Unknown Test)
SMART self-test did not complete on drive 3!

I am attempted to run the extended test now. It's been running 10 minutes without an error so far... I'll post again once it is completed or if it errors out.

PresMatt

PresMatt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Just an FYI... the utility is saying it'll be running for 20,977 hours, 10 minutes, 40 seconds...

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
I did run this WD Align on my 1tb WD hd and it took less than an hour, nut in my case if it wou;d make a difference I had transfered (even if was long) all my data to another hard drive first so it was an empty drive and also it was an internal connected hd not a usb connected hd.

The WD diagnostic tool - Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool for dos (bootable)
http://support.wdc.c...6&sid=3&lang=en