Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer shuts down after booting up

• Please log in to reply

Hollz

Hollz

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Okay, so I have had this problem for at least a month, maybe a little longer. I have Windows 7, and my computer was custom built in 2008, though all the parts are pretty much several years old. I hit the power button to turn on my computer, and it starts to boot up into windows. Occasionally everything goes fine, but most of the time, during this process, my computer will simply turn off. It doesn't always happen at the same time, sometimes windows is booting up, sometimes it makes it to the desktop and is loading up all my starting programs before shutting down. It usually takes me 2, 3 attempts before my computer finally toughs it out and stays on for me.

I was told it was probably a hard drive failure, which seemed believable to me, so I backed up all my data, and first tried reinstalling windows. After it had installed and I inbetween picking the type of network and entering the serial and such, it shut down, which worried me since this was not necessarily a startup issue. So then I reformatted my drive and used the FORMAT C: /fs:NTFS command to completely clear my drive and reinstalled windows 7 with my CD. Everything seemed to go fine! I even had to restart it in when I had to add some driver files from the cd that came with my motherboard in order to get internet access. But when I put it to sleep, came back a few hours later and went to "wake" it up, it shut down.

Thus, I have come to the hardware section as it does not seem to be a Windows 7 issue? I know my motherboard is from when I initially built my computer in 2008. My power supply may be newer, but not by much.

Anyone have any ideas? It has been a while since I posted on a forum like this, so forgive me if I need to provide more info or some kind of error log. It's also a little difficult to test things out since my computer is so unreliable now (I'm posting this from a friend's computer). Please help, and thanks so much in advance! I feel like the days are numbered with whatever is going wrong with my computer!

Edited by Hollz, 05 March 2013 - 07:49 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hello Hollz

Please provide us with the following details;

Brand and model name or number of the motherboard, power supply unit and any add on cards such as the video type, next;

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Depending on the results we may need to run further software for comparison http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Hollz

Hollz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
First of all, thank you for getting back to me!

Motherboard: MSI K9NGM4-F V.2 AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 7025 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
Videocard: EVGA 01G-P3-N959-TR GeForce 9500 GT 1GB 128-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
Power Supply: Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU 500W ATX 12V 2.0 Power Supply

I also contacted a tech friend who had me download and run memtest 86 (passed) and hitachi drive fitness test (which completed) tonight. I actually have not had any shut down's tonight, go figure, so he said if the problem begins again to just let him know. But the issue was horrible yesterday, I couldn't open Google Chrome without my computer suddenly shutting down, and today suddenly everything is just dandy??

I downloaded the hardware monitor, my friend had actually had me install that in the past when I was having videocard issues and needed to replace it (so thanks for linking that, too!) Let me know if you want those results, as well. Temperature-wise, nothing seems out of ordinary.

And thank you for giving me the screenshot/paint tips..as silly as that may seem, I'm used to Photoshop and I obviously do not have that installed since I just wiped the harddrive.

Hope I provided everything, thanks again!

Attached Thumbnails

• speedfan.jpg

Edited by Hollz, 06 March 2013 - 10:57 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.
Just butting in while Phillpower2 is offline.
Temps are good in Speedfan but the volt reading are inconclusive. So Phillpower2 has more info, do please run HWM, and post the results.

It may also be useful to have information from Speccy.
Go to > http://www.piriform.com/speccy > Click Download, > in the window that opens, on the left hand panel click Download from FileHippo.com\ Piriform.com.
When the where to save window opens, Select Desktop. When the download is complete, go to the desktop and double click on Speccy.
Now, in the menu bar at the top left, click File > Publish Snapshot
You will see the following prompt

Posted Image

> Click Yes > then open in browser

Posted Image

Please copy the URL from the address bar into your next reply.

Hollz

Hollz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Thank you for also taking the time to help!

As requested, here is a screenshot of HWM and the url to speccy (neat program, it's so detailed!)

While I had no issues yesterday, I did have one shut down when I initially turned on my computer today.

This might be silly, but could a power strip/surge protector cause issues? I have this fancy Phillips one I've used for a year and a half now, it's the kind made for a computer where it has a master outlet in which the PC power plugs into and several other outlets that only function when the PC/master outlet is turned on. I've always used regular power strips previously. Anyway, this issue is strange/erratic so I figure anything is possible at this point (including that my house/computer may be haunted). I have another power strip so I transferred all the PC power cords to that one before turning my comp on a second time with success. Figure it's related to powering my pc and for future turn-ons I can see if this makes a difference in case we still can't find anything else that might be the issue.

Thanks again!

Attached Thumbnails

• HWMss1.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Sorry for the delay getting back to you Hollz.

Thanks for providing the information requested by colleague iammyky (thanks for stepping in Michael :thumbsup: )

Temps and voltages are as they should be but something is going on with core #1 of your CPU as is shown in the CPU usage panel of your Speedfan screenshot, there are various reasons why this may happen and it can be hardware, software and sometimes malware, if it looks like it could be the latter you may need the assistance of the experts over on the malware forums but hopefully not.

Was the computer idle when the Speedfan screenshot was taken.

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop information :thumbsup:

Hollz

Hollz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Alrighty, thank you again for everyone's time!

Here is the Pitstop URL (hope I did that right)

And just a question, what exactly was giving you warning signs in the SpeedFan SS I posted? Just curious as to what number you were looking at exactly, I wasn't sure. And yes, I do believe that was idle. I did another test and the numbers were similar (wasn't sure if I was running the windows essentials virus scan at the time, that would have been the only thing).

So according to the pitstop test, it wants me to delete temporary files. Wouldn't those have been deleted when I wiped my drive? So that shouldn't be the problem?

Thanks again!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Thanks for the url :thumbsup:

If you look at the two CPU usage bars core #0 is showing minimal usage but core #1 is suggesting that it is very busy.

You are correct the temp files are not causing the issue.

Please run the HDDs diagnostics tool;

Make sure you select the tool that is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Depending on the program it'll create a bootable floppy or a bootable CD.
If the downloaded file is the .iso type use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn the .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option) and make the CD bootable.

Can I ask what type of Windows 7 disk it is that you are using as in is it a full retail disk or a burned copy.

Hollz

Hollz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hmm so after some confusion I ended up downloading the first western digital link I believe, the one for windows. It was just a program I installed. Quick test passed, extended is halfway done (responding from my phone to avoid any issues). I actually ran a hitachi version a tech friend told me to run a week ago (hitachi drive fitness test), which was a bootable cd version. I ran similar tests on my main hd and it said it passed fine.

I have a retail version of windows 7 (had issues with a burned version nearly two years ago, but I'm legit now ;) )

Anyways, the extended test is still going, ill update tomorrow but wanted to get a response out now in case I don't have time until later. Since I did run that hitachi version, I don't see why this one won't pass, as well.

And I totally see where you're looking at for the cpu bars now, didn't realize what those meant! Definitely something going on.

Thanks again for your continued help :) had several shut downs before my computer finally persevered this evening.

Edit: extended test passed

Edited by Hollz, 13 March 2013 - 06:00 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Was it the test at the attached link http://support.wdc.c...2&sid=3&lang=en

Advertisements

Hollz

Hollz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
No I used http://support.wdc.c...pid=606&lang=en because in my speccy link it says SATA? Did I pick the wrong one? I figured if it let me run it it should have been fine?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Thats fine your SATA test was correct :thumbsup:

As malware can also cause abnormal CPU usage it is important that we ensure your machine is clean before we continue here, please read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

If you do need to start a topic on the malware forum please provide a link to this topic so that steps already taken can be checked.

Hollz

Hollz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Alright I will try all of that, thank you so much for all your help! Really appreciate it!!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
You are most welcome and we will be here if you do need to return to this topic :thumbsup:

Hollz

Hollz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Sorry, I was just a little confused, were there any self-help things to follow BEFORE I posted in the malware forum? Or was I just supposed to make a post on the forum? All I was seeing were tips on how to post in the forum and create the OTL log, as well as links to the malware forum on specific malware removal (which I don't know what/if I have anything). Sorry! I just don't know anything about malware