Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD recorder does not recognise blank DVDs

• Please log in to reply

anarxaki

anarxaki

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
I'm running Windows 7x64, I have an LG recorder (HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS70 ATA) which must be around 2 years old and I use it mainly for taking back-ups. Twice a year I empty my HDDs, burning 100 discs each time. I'm using ImgBurn 2.5.7.1
A few months ago it started having problems with CDs. After burning I got a verification error message. I ignored the problem since I rarely burn any data CDs.
Around Christmas it was time for another HDD back-up. After finishing the 100 cake box of nameless DVDs, I turned to some spare TDKs. One out of three got a "Medium not present" note, which I bypassed by putting another blank DVD in the drive.
Yesterday I bought a new cake box, TDK DVD-R 16x. I get the same message for all of them, "Medium not present", and I cannot bypass it by changing DVD. Windows also do not see any medium present. It can read already burned DVDs, but it cannot read blank.

Has my recorder reached the end of its life, or something else is going on? I checked its properties, the driver is up-to-date, and I changed the Region to "2" (it was blank).

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello anarxak

You may have already read this online but some optical drives can be choosy about the brands of disk that they will work with, be it an expensive brand of disk or not, try an alternative brand by purchasing or swapping a single disk to try.

If the issue remains the same the write ability of the drive may have failed due to nothing more than reaching it`s maximum write ability as in the laser has worn out.

anarxaki

anarxaki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
As it seems, it reached the end of its time. It doesn't read either the no-name DVD, nor SONY. So I'm off to buy a new recorder.

Thanks for the info. :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Some troubleshooting that you can do first if only to confirm that a new optical drive is indeed required;

1. Uninstall the drive through Device Manager.
Restart computer. The drive will be automatically reinstalled.
or...
2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
Restart computer.
or...
3. Download, and run http://www.dougknox...._cd_dvd_fix.htm
Double click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.
Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.
Accept registry merge.
Restart computer.

or...
4. Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
You'll see two items:
- ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
- ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
Right click on each of them, and click Uninstall. Confirm.
Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.

Thanks to Broni for the above instructions :thumbsup:

anarxaki

anarxaki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Nope, nothing changed. Even after the "re-install" it doesn't read any brand of blank DVDs. But thanks for the tip. :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Sorry that the suggestions did not work, thanks for the follow up though and please let us know how you get on with the replacement drive or if you have any questions.

anarxaki

anarxaki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
This must be the third DVD recorder that dies on me, so I'm feeling like an expert. :P
I've ordered a Samsung which unfortunately is out of stock at the moment. But as soon as I get it and test it, I'll let you know if anything occurs. :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Good to see that you have not let the issue get you down :thumbsup:

Good choice of brand Samsung but also worth a look if they are available local to you, a little over 13 euros http://www.amazon.co...G/?tag=pcp0f-21