Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC constantly reboots to Advanced Option Menu

• Please log in to reply

Oddberry126

Oddberry126

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey everyone,

As you might notice, I'm new here. I've been having an issue with my PC as off lately. Whenever I turn it on, the Advanced Options screen appears (it's a black screen offering you two choices, namely to either start your PC in Normal Mode or in Safe Mode). Whenever I click on 'Normal Mode', my PC brings me to the loading screen with the Microsoft logo on it. The problem, however, is that this screen stays on for a while, and then my PC suddenly reboots back to the Advanced Options menu. When I click on 'Safe Mode', a black screen saying 'loading files' appears. Then I get to a completely blue screen, a bit like the default blue wallpaper in Windows 7. There is just this blue background, no options or anything.

I tried putting in my back-up discs which I made instantly when I got this PC, which is about 4 years ago. I get the same problem as when I'm clicking on 'Safe Mode' in the Advanced Options menu. Blue background without any other reaction.

The next thing I tried was pushing F8 to get to that screen where you get a set of options, but as I'm afraid to lose my files, I have decided to first consult people with more technical know-how than me.

Summary: My PC is constantly rebooting to the Advanced Options page (Normal Mode) or to a blue screen without any code or anything on it (Safe Mode). Inserting back-up CDs didn't work (same result as in Safe Mode).

I have no clue how to fix this problem. Normally I would just use my back-up discs, but in this case even that doesn't work. Could someone please help me out? There are very important files on my PC and of course, the idiot I am, I forgot to make any recent back-ups of these files. I don't want to lose them.

Specifics:

Windows 7
64-bits
Intel Core i5
Sony
Laptop

Sorry for being so vague when it comes to the specifics. If I could manage to log in into my computer, I could give more information, but I currently am unable to do that. I also suspect my PC is infected with a virus, as this problem happened when I tried to unRar a downloaded file.

Please help me out!

Kind regards,

Oddberry126

EDIT:

There IS a blue screen when I try out starting up in Normal Mode. It only lasts one second before my PC reboots again, though, so I am not able to read any error codes. However, I think I am now one step closer to finding out what the problem with my PC is.

So guys: There IS a blue screen with an error code. It just flashes so promptly and shortly that I can't read it fully.

Any help?

Edited by Oddberry126, 06 March 2013 - 09:49 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 21,272 posts
:welcome: Oddberry126

As you suspect malware which is not dealt with outside of the malware forums and your system will not boot please refer to the tutorial provided courtesy of admin before you do anything else http://www.geekstogo...ystem-tutorial/

If the problem persists and you have the all clear of malware please return to this topic and we can look at other possible causes.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 10,939 posts
Moving the topic to the Malware Forum.

• Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

Plug the flash drive into the infected PC.
  • If you are using Windows 8 consult How to use the Windows 8 System Recovery Environment Command Prompt to enter System Recovery Command prompt.

If you are using Vista or Windows 7 enter System Recovery Options.

To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:
    • Restart the computer.
    • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
    • Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.
    • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
    • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
    • Select your user account an click Next.
    Note: In case you can not enter System Recovery Options by using F8 method, you can use Windows installation disc, or make a repair disc. Any Windows installation disc or a repair disc made on another computer can be used.
    To make a repair disk on Windows 7 consult: http://www.sevenforu...isc-create.html

To enter System Recovery Options by using Windows installation disc:
    • Insert the installation disc.
    • Restart your computer.
    • If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc. If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check your BIOS settings.
    • Click Repair your computer.
    • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
    • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
    • Select your user account and click Next.
  • On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:
      • Startup Repair
      • System Restore
      • Windows Complete PC Restore
      • Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
      • Command Prompt

Select Command Prompt

Once in the Command Prompt:
  • In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
  • The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
  • Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
  • In the command window type e:\frst (for x64 bit version type e:\frst64) and press Enter
    Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
  • The tool will start to run.
  • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.

Oddberry126

Oddberry126

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to already thank the people who have replied to my post. I'll make sure to try out the solutions you have posted here when I have more time (probably near the weekened).

I worked on the issue a bit more yesterday and found some kind of error code on a so-called BSOD (Blue Screen of Death), a problem which my PC is currently suffering from.

I thought I'd post this code here to inform you more, as this code might mean more to you professionals than to me.

Here is the code: STOP CODE: 0x000000ED (0xFFFFFA80043F74EO, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000185, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000)

Apparently the first part before the brackets is the most important to figure out the problem.

Hope this helps. I'll make sure to keep this topic updated.

Thanks again,

Oddberry126

Edited by Oddberry126, 07 March 2013 - 10:07 AM.