Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Will Macrium Reflect Image Work from Flash Drive?

• Please log in to reply

Chimiti

Chimiti

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Last year I saved the Hard Drive Image of my sister's computer onto a Flash Drive with Macrium Reflect Free.

In more recent times, I was informed on another Forum that that Hard Drive Image might possibly NOT work because it is saved on a Flash Drive instead of say ... on an External HD. The logic was something along the lines of the cloned image not being a genuine HD image as existing on an actual physical Hard Drive vs. the image really just being a Flash Drive version of the image.

I went a while ago to get to the bottom of things at the Macrium Forums. But, unfortunately I found out that you can only post there if you actually purchased Macrium Reflect. So, I find myself here.

So, what's the verdict?
WILL that Hard Drive Image of my sister's computer that I saved onto a Flash Drive WORK if and when I need to use it someday?
Or is that Hard Drive Image useless because it is saved on a Flash Drive instead of on a genuine physical Hard Drive?

My thinking is that IF it was NOT meant to work ... why wouldn't Macrium Reflect Free have informed me of that at the time that I was creating the Hard Drive Image and saving it onto a Flash Drive? But, of course, my logic could be wrong.

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
If you followed a procedure similar to this Chimiti then there should be no reason why the flash drive will not work.

http://www.sevenforu...-usb-drive.html

Chimiti

Chimiti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Hmmm??? I think we're talking two different things.

I was thinking along the lines of say, the computer is still Bootable. And be it being infected or malfunctioning in some other way ... it'd still be functioning enough to be able to bring up Macrium Reflect from the Desktop.

Then just the Hard Drive Clone Image would be accessed and acquired from the Flash Drive.

That's what I'm wondering if it will work.

But, it won't hurt to read and study that procedure to see how feasible it is. How many MegaBytes or GigaBytes does the Bootable Rescue USB aspect of this take?