Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Crucial M4 (System drive) disappeared Win 7

• Please log in to reply

FUState

FUState

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Hi
After a crash my Crucial M4 (OpSys drive) disappeared. Did not show up in boot menu.
I had to disconnect all of my hard drives except the M4, then reconnect them one by one and save them.
My computer appears to be working now, though my confidence in it has taken a giant hit.
Is this a sign of something failing? What could have caused this?

Below is a more detailed description of the above.
I had a rather confusing morning... found all of my icons to be on the top monitor, so I dragged them back down and noticed one that I do not need... right clicked it to delete... and my computer froze.
I went Ctrl+Alt+del - switch user - then restarted from the login screen...
Then my computer did not load... it just went to the BIOS boot splash and stayed there.
I turned it off... disconnected power for a while... booted it and it did the same, only this time it found some remnants of Windows XP on one of my 3 (non-system) drives and loaded the Windows XP splash (my backup drive is from my old system so it still has the old Windows folder on it.)
I cycled power, went into boot (took a lot of trying as the keyboard didn't seem effective for the first three cycles) and found only 3 drives showed up.
I moved the cables around, tried again, no change.
I cycled power again after unplugging all but the M4 and bam... there she was, so I saved, powered down, and repeated individually for the remaining 3 drives.

Now I am back in Windows 7 wondering if this is a taste of things to come, or some random spike in my BIOS or CMOS battery failure... or I don't know...
Thoughts?

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Sorry for the VERY slow reply. There's really no way to know for sure. Crucial has offered some firmware updates (PDF) for the M4. I would be sure you have the latest firmware.

Otherwise, SSDs randomly dropping at start up is often a sign of controller failure. If that's the case, eventually it won't be recognized at all. Be sure you have current backups.

FUState

FUState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Alright, thank you for the reply.
It has not dropped since, so the total drops is 1 thus far. It is somewhat comforting to think that this is only an issue with the drive (as that is easier than if it included the motherboard.)
I will have to back up this drive quickly and update the firmware. I appreciate your information.