As long as your computer seems to be running well, please follow these simple steps to tidy up you computer and decrease the likelihood of getting infected again:
- double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool
- click on Uninstall
- confirm with Yes.
Create a Restore Point
- click on Start > Control Panel (All Control Panel Items)
- click on System > System Protection
- check that you have System Protection turned on for the drive that you want to create a restore point for, (usually C:
- click Create
- type in a description for the restore point to help recognize it when doing a System Restore, and click on the Create button.
- open Disk Cleanup by clicking Start. In the search box, type Disk Cleanup, and then, in the list of results, click Disk Cleanup.
- if prompted, select the drive that you want to clean up, and then click OK.
- in the Disk Cleanup for (drive letter) dialog box, click Clean up system files. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation
- if prompted, select the drive that you want to clean up, and then click OK
- click the More Options tab, then under System Restore and Shadow Copies, click Clean up
- in the Disk Cleanup dialog box, click Delete
- click Delete Files, and then click OK.
If you have uninstalled Norton, you are using the Internet without an antivirus or firewall program and your computer will certainly become infected again.
Download and install one of the following free antivirus programs:
Do NOT install more than one or they will fight against each other and render both ineffective.
Windows Vista has a pretty good firewall.
To turn on Windows firewall:
- open Windows Firewall by clicking Start, Control Panel, Security, and then Windows Firewall.
- click Turn Windows Firewall on or off. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
- click On (recommended), and then OK.
Update installed programs
Your version of Flash Player is out-of-date.
Go here and download the latest version.
Visit ADOBE and download the latest version of Acrobat Reader.
Having the latest updates ensures there are no security vulnerabilities in your system.
Install the latest version of Java:
SpywareBlaster. SpywareBlaster protects against bad ActiveX, it immunizes your PC against them. It blocks over 11,000 bad sites and uses no resources of your computer.
Install Spybot - Search and Destroy - Download and install Spybot Search and Destroy which provides real time spyware and hijacker protection .
You should scan your computer with the program on a regular basis as you would with your anti-virus software.
A tutorial on installing and using SS&D can be found here
Update and run Malwarebytes. This really is an excellent program that you should also update and run on a regular basis, probably weekly.
It’s important to keep programs up to date so that malware doesn't exploit any old security flaws.
FileHippo Update Checker is an extremely helpful program that will tell you which of your programs need to be updated.
MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well known ad sites and other bad sites. Basically, this prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer, meaning it will be difficult to infect yourself in the future.
I also recommend that you read the following:
How to prevent malware by miekiemoes
If I hear nothing for 24 hours I shall assume all is well and close the topic.