Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Security updates can't be installed.

• Please log in to reply

Warden

Warden

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
I have a hp elitebook 8730w running Windows XP Pro Version 2002 Service Pack 3. When trying to install security updates I get an error message that I have attached to the post. I am unsure of what else i can do to get the proper update and would appreciate any assistance. I have tried to address this issue in another post which shows what we already attempted. That was in the malware forum under the title "PUP.facethemes Issue [Solved}" godawgs had assisted me in removing a virus and attempted to help me with this issue as well. When we could not find a solution he recommended that I post in this forum and that I may find a solution. Any help is appreciated. Thanks and have a nice day.

Attached Thumbnails

• Update not installed.JPG

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
My question is, are you certain Net Framework 1.1 sp1 is installed on your computer. Lots of people will install starting from Net Framework 2 and never install version 1 and 1.1.

If it was never installed then it might be why Windows update cannot install the security updates for this specific version.

Warden

Warden

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
I am not certain that it was and did not think to check for that. I will see if I can find that out and let you know. I am a bit of a novice, can you point me in the right direction to find out if Net Framework 1.1 sp1 is installed?

Warden

Warden

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
I tried to install 1.1 and got the following error messages. Windows Error 2.JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• Windows error1.JPG

Warden

Warden

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
This is what is currently installed.

Warden

Warden

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
This is what is currently installed.

Attached Thumbnails

• current.JPG

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
You should not have tried to install it, even if it was not there, the net framework should be install in sequence, version 1 first and then 1.1 then 2 and then 3 then 3.5 then 4. Trying to install a prior version will lead to an error whil;e installing.

Did you check before trying to install the net Framework 1.1 if it was there or not, Does it show in your programs because it was already there or because you tired to install it (even if it failed).

Warden

Warden

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
It was already there and I should not have tried to re install. I was tinkering and that was not smart. I went to the microsoft website and they suggested removing and re installing, but I stopped short of doing that. Any suggestions on how to proceed? Thanks for your time.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
You can try to ROLL BACK to a date previous (if you can remember when) to when the update first tried to install itself and see if it will install properly next time Windows update suggests it.

You can look at the installed updates and see if your systems says this update (kb2742597) is installed or not. If yes uninstall it.
(show install updates by clicking on the box "show updates" in the add/remove programs)

You can go into your folder C:\Windows and then by allowing to show you the hidden folders check if the update kb2742597 shows up in there, if yes then delete it.

And last resort is to uninstall all the NET framework starting by the latest (version 4) and going down until all are removed once manually removed you can run the Net Framework cleanup tool to make sure all the file and registry keys are removed.

http://www.softpedia...anup-Tool.shtml

Once this is done you can try to install them again one by one in the right order.

Or you can uninstall only the version 1.1 from your computer with the cleanup tool (if you think you have no program requiring this specific version to run). Run the program and instead of choosing All Versions you choose only the version you want to uninstall. This way Windows update will not bother you (should not) to install any updates for this version.

Warden

Warden

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
OK,2742597 is not installed, but 2742956 is. Should I uninstall the 2742956 and then try to install 274927?

Attached Thumbnails

• 2742596.JPG

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
No do not uninstall this update kb2742956

Did you verify if you have that update folder kb2742597 in your C:\Windows (do not forget to enable the view of hidden folder)

Edited by Alzeimer, 08 March 2013 - 06:32 PM.

Warden

Warden

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
I can't locate kb2742597 in C:\\Windows. What do you think is the best/easiest option for me at this point? Uninstalling all the updates from 4 down to one, using the cleanup tool and then reinstalling? Thanks again for your continued assistance. I greatly appreciate it.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
If it was me that is what I would do (uninstall / reinstall)

Your options.

1- uninstall reinstall
2- just ignore this update and tell Windows updates to not try to install this update anymore
3- just uninstall version 1.1 using the cleanup tool and not reinstall it.

Warden

Warden

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
I will most likely ignore the update as suggested. I appreciate all of your time. Thanks for your help and have a great weekend.