Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

acer aspire 5515 shuts down

• Please log in to reply

Rascle53

Rascle53

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
I got a acer aspire 5515 the other day,finially got a chance to messs with it a bit this morning. when i turn it on, it only stays on for about 5-10 seconds then shuts back off. ive cleaned the fan and vent,repasted the cpu,checked both sticks of ram in another laptop and they proved good. When it starts i have had my hand by the vent, it dosent last long enough for the fan to blow warm air of the cpu. My conclusion is bad cpu or fault in the motherboard but leaning more twards the cpu. Id sure appreciate some input from ya'll on my search and findings.
Thanks a million in advance, ya'll are top notch
Rascle

Advertisements

Veeg

Veeg

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Hello..

It could be a failing power supply..

EDIT: miss read your post..sorry..

Edited by Veeg, 10 March 2013 - 07:25 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hello Rascle53

Possible cooling fan failure causing the thermal sensor to shut the system down to protect the CPU from frying, can you actually hear the cooling fan running at any time.

Power issue another possible cause, have you tried using battery power only and vice versa removing the battery and using only the AC adapter, if so what was the outcome in both instances please.

Rascle53

Rascle53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
i got it working, the batter was so bad, that id would not let the ps boot it, i removed the battery an it fired right up, for a little single core, that thing sure if fast!!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Glad you got it sorted and thanks for the follow up Rascle53 :thumbsup:

It is hard to convince some people that a bad battery can have such an affect on a notebook so your post will be helpful in convincing them.

Some but not all notebook batteries can be reset which sometimes resolves such issues as what you had http://www.brighthub...cles/50844.aspx